Saturday, August 15, 2009

Catch a Tiger, at Reggies





This was an awesome and full Wednesday night for me. I came to Reggies to see The Start, not expecting this local band Catch A Tiger to impress, and yet they did. I was fully expecting The Start to keep me broke but it was this band that I eventually liked. I walked in as Catch A Tiger was playing. I liked what I was hearing from probably the end of the second song I heard. Ms Andrea stood out from the crowd precisely because of her plain gray and blue, well at least to me. There was something sweet and understated about it. She didn't throw herself around like Katie Jane. Didn't need to. The music was not plain, it got my attention, and I was fascinated by her understated presentation of it. A calm in the midst of the storm of guitars and drums. The demo CD they have grows on me. Some songs sound to me like Placebo only with a female voice. I got it. Auf Der Maur.
I took pictures and video as this appreciation of the band formed. I didn't see any CDs of the band at the merch table so with more urgency I took video. These early performances of any band, before they are signed are the fleeting moments that I like to record. For me it's not just the performance the videos record, but you know, the things that happened around it. What was going on in the world around it. Sure there is the escapist quality in going out to see these shows, but I know these events do not create themselves in a vacuum. Indeed they are reactions to the world around. Anyway, uhm, I like how these guys react to the world. I am a fan.

No comments: