Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Rosen Association




We are so blessed with the musicians that live here in Chicago, with the music that is produced here. It is a matter of seeking them out in less than obvious places and moments. The cold autumn rain that Thursday night was the kind that can persuade you stay home. You look out the window, and then you look at what's on cable. It was a night slowly driving itself into oblivion. This night was in want to be forgotten, uneventful was it's day. The rain don't even have to be this down pour, just a cold, annoying drizzle. Yet this extreme boredom also compels one to seek out the time killers. The Rosen Association put the night on the map, with their sweet dark electronics.
I saw The Rosen Association perform at The Mutiny, and most recently at Bottom Lounge. They are Jason, Matt, Erin, and Spencer. Erin sings and plays keyboard. I think it's Jason who plays lead guitar. The night I saw School of Seven Bells at Empty Bottle one of them told me about this thing at The Mutiny, when I arrived my expectations were modest. I was expecting to be bored fast so I can go home. I did not know who was going to sing, nothing. I arrived and I noticed a few goths that I kind of know. That can mean something....right? Familiar faces help a lot to shape in your mind what you will listen. The Mutiny is such a classic looking dive bar, exactly where you would expect a goth or indy band to start. That thought kind of influenced me to stay and eventually see The Rosen Association. I've seen them twice now. The second time was different because you can actually see them. At The Mutiny you could barely see them it was so dark, it was like they were hiding. Bottom Lounge had them on a proper stage with much better lights.
They remind me a lot like this band called Mono, very keyboard driven grayish dark electronic music, and when I say dark I mean like Miranda Sex Garden. My reluctance in calling it electronic comes from the guitars. Think Projekt instead of Metropolis. Try calling Black Tape For A Blue Girl "electronic". It's hard right. It's just so many other things as well. One of their songs plays in my head all the time and it's Erin's keyboard. Her voice is not girly young, but womanly angelic. They don't have a CD out yet or anything. For the moment all we have are the live performances, and their myspace page. "Cotton" sweet as "Drones" sounds serious. The alliteration there was unavoidable. I'm trying to get this post out as I have not in ages. And it's in "Drones" where Erin's voice haunts. They are awesome. They can steal a Projekt Fest. It's nice to have them local. It just occurred to me how cool a shirt would look with "Rosen Association" on it. They perform next at Metro 26 February.
Zig

No comments: