Friday, February 19, 2010

Explode Into Colors




I don't know much about this band. It's two drummers and a bass player. Drums and bass, there is a reason they name a whole subculture of music with just those two instruments. They 'cool. Explode Into Colors is not a Drum and Bass band. They just know their weapons. They use less instruments, less clutter. The potency of "less is more" is apparent here. There is no lead guitar to distract you from deep dancy bass guitar. When I looked them up on youtube, the song that hooked me was "Sharpen The Knife". It was bassy, it was aggressive and a little messy. I loved it. I just imagined hardcore fans behind the camera bouncing around, dancing. The song just makes you want to jump around like it's House of Pain. They were performing at Subterranean in Chicago and so I went to see them. The place was packed, not sold out, but full enough to restrict some movement. I arrived in between bands, so I went to the front as people go get their drinks, take a piss. The Subt crowd this time seemed to be a little too well dressed for who they were seeing. Explode Into Colors seems like a Empty Bottle band. I've seen bands play all the local small venues, crowds just look different from one venue to another. I know they were all there for 'Colors but they were so stoic, mostly just standing there, not bouncing around as I imagined. I'm not going so far as to say the audience was not into them. They were appreciative yes or else they would have melted away, gone home early. I bought no CD, there was none to buy, only vinyl, and I got no record player. I write this as a reminder to get it later. Zig

No comments: