Thursday, March 18, 2010

Moritat





I even forgot when I did this....I think Sunday. I go to Quenchers on Western and Fullerton. This band named Moritat was playing. Quenchers has seen a lot of good bands. The kind that you end up seeing in larger more well known venues. I don't know Quenchers that well, but it seems that anyone can play there, fertile ground for a fan base. Moritat have this female singer and so I go, with modest expectations. Her name is Venus and she plays the keys. I can start this whole thing from the beginning from the moment I got ready and all that bullshit, or perhaps it's best that I forgot that part and only remember being truly impressed with this band Moritat. They had demo CDs out for free. Seeing them perform and listening to them on CD are actually different experiences. They have performed at least one other time, but I could not go. I do want to see them again. The demo CD has just three songs, and I don't know which ones they played that night. I just know that I'm glad I went and I'm glad there was some thing to take home and listen.
The first song Yellow House just sneaks up on you. It's casual jazzy piano and Ms Venus eventually win you over in the stretch. It's not fast...... It's not so pretty and operatic like Kristeen Young, or dark and serious like Aleks and The Drummer. There is a serenity to this band, specifically from that first song that is not in Aleks or KY. Yellow House is a cool chill out song. I'm at a loss to describe the voice of Venus, other than to say I like it. I wish I had lyrics to read. It would help in describing the voice. All I have to describe the voice is the fucking voice. When I use words like serene, calm, casual I'm not saying boring. Kenny G is absolutely boring. Moritat is not. There is a drive to this song, you know, a tension. The keyboard reminds me of the theme song of The Peanuts. It has that subtle catchiness. I am a fan of Moritat.
Zig

1 comment:

Moritat Music said...

Hey, Thanks for doing a page on us. This blog is pretty fun. Keep it goin.

Also, we'd like to send you a copy of our debut EP, One Minute Fade. Get in contact with us.
Konstantin
moritatmusic.com