Friday, July 20, 2012

Ego Likeness





Here is one I have not seen in a long time. I remember Ego Likeness before I even started this here blog, and before my digital camera. I still got pictures of them in film from disposable cameras. The last time I saw them I bought Donna's novel Isabel Burning which I'm still reading. You want to support the artist that you like in whatever they do. As EG I see them as goth-industrial, in the same neighborhood as I:Scintilla, Ayria, very dance floor friendly in that way. Very likely if you know those last two mentioned bands you also may know of Ego Likeness. I saw them on a Saturday night. I think the place was called Livewire Lounge. I don't know the size of venues they play outside of Chicago but here I always they seem to play small places and that works for me. Yeah, they've played Metro too but that takes the smallness from the equation. Small concentrates the energy flowing from performer to audience and back. The really cool thing about an industrial audience is that they go to see a band to dance not just observe like a hipster. We want to dance! We want to show our love for the band. And Donna had her people down. In their PVC they sweated, the corsets, the make-up. In their black clothes they perspired for Donna like there was no AC.  When you wear black clothes in hot weather....thats when it counts. Inside this place was sweaty hot, and we still danced. I parked my barely reliable vehicle and ran to the venue where there were people standing and chatting outside. It was around 11pm, well into the night and it was still humid like the sun was still out. I was ready to pay the cover but as I walked through the crowd and threshold...... no one challenged me, asked for id...nothing. So I drifted further inside this hot sauna of a club. Cool, now I got money to perhaps buy a CD which I needed to catch up to Ego Likeness, and how they made me dance. It all came back, what got me into them to begin with. It was wonderful to bask in that collective vibe of open display. The great thing about industrial music is that dancing is so woven into it. You can move to anything sure but it's something else when it's everyone.  And so it was with Ego Likeness in this tight narrow venue. Donna had her crowd moving. There was new music that the band played that I will one day have to get, but for now I must just document here a band that predates the blog. Yes, there were those in the back, and in the margins, but the venue was narrow. You only needed a few in the front to dance. You can still see the two drummers sweat in the back of the stage. Before leaving I got the Geist picture disc.  Now I must take the time to re acquaint with Ego Likeness.

No comments: