Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Agent Ribbons

This could have easily been just a fabulous dream in which I see the vaudeville-punk Agent Ribbons play Empty Bottle and with them was architecture, Rebecca Scott's other shoegaze project besides Panda Riot. You know how dreams just throw things together, have really cool people do cameo appearances that happen to know one of the bands. You have this vivid awesome dream in anticipation of the actual show. Only I didn't dream this. And the local shoegaze architecture did play the same stage as Agent Ribbons. Oh and cameo appearance. Natalie Grace was there and she knows the band. I thought she left for NYC. I'm glad she's still in Chicago and playing Coles 30, November.
  I don't think the two bands were even aware of each other until that night. Its not to say that they are incompatible. They just sound real different from each other. But in my head they were old furniture. In my ipod they are neighbors. I don't recall how I came to know Agent Ribbons. How ever that happened, it compelled me to see them the first time at Beat Kitchen. Damn nearly missed the whole thing and could not afford anything from their colorful merch table. So I have made it a point to be on time for them the last few times. And they were very nice after the show. So I am at the stage where I go see what I've become familiar with over time like Chelsea, lets go join the circus, La Noche  from On Time Travel And Romance. I think they sang Wood Lead Rubber. from Chateau Crone. Lyrics are easily remembered without being catchy and annoying. They are direct, plain and witty, and clear in how she explains things. So its easy to identify with.  This new release is an EP on vinyl called Let Them Talk. Its real tireless work touring like they do, often broke. The time they spend on the road makes the time spent performing seem instantaneous. They had I think ten more gigs after Chicago I think. Oh and they knew Natalie Grace! They are so enthusiastic when they play. Natalie Gordon as always takes her shoes off to better bounce around the stage. I get a feeling of sincerity with each song. What the fuck do I mean with that? Hmm, .......let me think.....open veins, and a sweet witty directness. You want to sway back and forth with a drink in your hand to La Noche. I have a soft spot for that song 'cause it reminds me of old Mexican music. And it takes a very special troubadour like Ms Nat to make you sway to I Was Born To Sing Sad Songs without the baggage of really feeling sad. I really like how that song is put together.  After the show talking to Natalie and Lauren was nice. I ran into Natalie Grace and found out she was friends with the band. Its nice to see the world small like that. If you're into that sharp wit of Rasputina, Dresden Dolls....just to name a few, then Agent Ribbons deserves to live off the music.






Zig

No comments: