Thursday, August 29, 2013

Christa Mercey

One song sold me on seeing Christa Mercey, Throwin' it away, the first song from the Floorboards EP . Something about it.  That rural open-air crispness felt in the first few seconds broke the attention of whatever else I was doing. Brought me before this campfire to hear the other-worldly voice of Christa. I saw this performance of it on youtube and I was sold immediately, and made it a mission to see her at Township.  I arrived already wanting to see Throw in' it away. It's the kind of rural folk that immediately puts you that far away from urban ambient light. I've been playing that one a lot. It puts me in that place where I need a campfire. Then after I bought the EP other songs effortlessly sold me before the lyrics even landed. Oh Storm, Sand And Oil, it was the sound of the voice....the sound of....everything before words start to make sense, the wonder of sound takes you. Thats when you are a fan. . This is the rural folk world I'm taken when I hear Christa Mercy, where there is great distance between the points of light, and farmland in between.  City lights are way the hell beyond you. Christa's folk comes from that great rural Other-world. There are other artists that take me to the same place  that includes Puerto Muerto, Man Is Man, Lost Cartographers, Oh Susanna,....Be Good Tanyas. I'm glad I was pro active in catching this show.
Zig




No comments: