Sunday, November 3, 2013

Distant Cities

Here's another post that I started long ago and far away and never finished. Hell I barely actually started. Its about when I saw Distant Cities at a Free Monday at Empty Bottle. I never stopped thinking about them since seeing them. They are playing again Monday 11 November at Whistler. And so my post on seeing them are well past due. I was hooked ever since Look Away, the first track of Walk Away. I will soon take a closer listen to the lyrics because they sound so stark in contrast to dance-worthy sweetness. Words like "homicidal feelings" really stick out like that one song from Goodfellas. Olivia is going on while Tommy snaps and takes out a made guy. So lets see what do we recall. Olivia's voice was nice and clear, fine almost operatic. Their sound seems minimally produced, basic, 80's nostalgic. Sounding like how we want to remember things while also sounding new and not retreaded or formulaic. There are so many individual things that will be memorable the first time, from how they sounded to Olivia's glasses. Its not a stretch to say that I take you to see them the first time you will go see them on your own the second, if you live around Chicago. I marvel and cheer on the greatness of acts when they perform in tiny places like Whistler. I could not believe my good fortune for seeing their entire set. I've missed others since and I feel the sting of it and so I write this to remind myself not to miss them again. I'll have far more to articulate when I see them this time. I need a refresh of the source material.
Zig





No comments: