Thursday, July 31, 2014

Prince Rama

My camera was broke for the duration of this show. So I took pictures with a borrowed iPhone. Still I'm glad I caught it. They also screened the 15 minute movie made based on all the Prince Rama songs I think from Top Ten Hits Of The End Of The World. That and Trust Now I have not stopped listening too. They are dense with night-time and day-time spacey, beat driven psychedelia. Call them otherworldly and that is but a beginning. They would further add seasonal differences. I'm going on what they said in interviews. I regularly hear otherworldly shit. Sometimes, it puts you to sleep. I give sleepy otherworldly CD another go....and I fall asleep even sooner. That's not even possible with Prince Rama. They know how to hold attention in a trance as they repeat Trust.....Trust. I can trace the worlds of music that led me to knowing Prince Rama. Not many of those can I hear an entire album at once. Nimai is an active drummer. She stands and dances as she drums. I think her primary influence is African drumming. Her enthusiasm glows and is evident on her face. I recently read that Nimai just quit alcohol. I am overjoyed for her. When one is a fan of a musician as I am of Nimai and Prince Rama, their success is personal. It means something to me that she is a happy person before everything else. I see this thing and I go home, sleep and bask in the after-glow, (or go to Neo if its a Wednesday night). Prince Rama....the sisters have to drive the long hours to the next stop on tour.  The more I read about them, the more I like them, basically. They are well rounded, intelligent artists and what I saw at Hideout is but a fraction of it. I was happy to see it all again.
   Having experienced the 80's I like how they dive into that decade.  I like the narrative of each song as a single from a fictional long lost 80's band. Each song implies, or begs to tell a greater story......the faint signature of a long forgotten band. That adds to the fascination for me.
  We arrived on time to see The Buttress, she performed and was quite good herself and we got her CD as well. Since that one night at Schuba's,......Prince Rama's music hmmm, I circulate them viciously.   Some track of them plays in my head, certain songs are in an orbit of 20 or less. I have not exhausted my wonder of them, nor do I ever see it coming. I just read an interview with them, Prince Rama, and I feel happy, fortunate......and fuck it, proud to be a fan of them.  I guess in finding their music I feel I have found kindred spirits and then reading interviews just reinforces that. The pictures I can show here are of the Schubas gig. But this post will be about the Hideout show.....or at least by now what little I can recall of it. Yes?.....Fuck it, moving along. The Hideout just concentrates an experience you've had in another bigger venue.
Zig









No comments: