Thursday, December 25, 2014

Dream House!

  So this past Thursday night was a first for me. I went to see a Siouxsie and The Banshees tribute band on their first gig at Live Wire Lounge.  I've never said this because it sounds mean. I don't like tribute bands or cover bands. The idea of them grates the nerves, .......normally. Something forced me to reexamine that.  I could not help but want to see this thing with Rani from Girl Detective. They named it Dream House. In seeing Rani do Spellbound,  I was seeing her as Girl Detective do Entrance., as well as Siouxsie. In the end we were all there to kind of bring some of the elements of seeing these legendary songs in the small dark clubs by kinda doing just that. Having some one doing them live with that passion.  Also as I said, not seeing Girl Detective..... Missing them shows loads the significance of seeing Dream House. Makes you mindful of what you actually witness.
  Discovering Siouxsie in high school is what I felt introduced me to young adulthood. This was not something trendy or stuck in a decade. She was timeless and opened the flood gates. I was ok with it being so remote, far from my own existence. I was ok with its creation being so far from me. I do recall a few times the process of getting tickets to a show of hers. My awareness of her is through vinyl, CD, cassette....and video and when old enough the goth clubs. Very rarely do I see her live. Anyway thats a fucking tangent.. But Siouxsie is big and sacred to me indeed......but... In the here and now Rani who I saw at SMW is doing this, how fucking steady are you an a petty principle.
  Live Wire Lounge is a cool small punk venue that's just intimate enough. Its way north on Milwaukee Ave. In the here and now I find myself more mindful of local music and artists. And this is Rani from Girl Detective. I got a post I've been holding back forever. Then one day I actually meet her and that does it. Here I am at the shows. Here I am writing about them. Documenting their existence beyond that one performance.
  Right up until I knew I  caught a significant part of this first Dream House gig can I relax and retroactively enjoy the drive over. The whole damn time from shower to highway I felt I was late. Once  I got there, parked....I was good and felt free to observe this venue. Ami was there already. Andrew would arrive later from a show at Hideout. A lot of the patrons sat by the bar. The place is small enough for you to hear the band from anywhere. The crowd was good and mostly scattered by the bar so as to make a live band more background to them. I greeted Ms Ami and I went to the front. Rani as Siouxsie was great. Dream House played a lot of old punk leaning, ragged. What could I say then? I would see this again. It was a good time desperately needed like a gasp of air.
Zig





No comments: