Thursday, January 15, 2015

Glass Lux

  On one of the coldest nights of early January I saw Glass Lux at The Whistler. It was Wednesday night 7 January. I don't know what got into me. I made it there on time, and extremely cold weather normally makes me lazy. This time I did the ritual preparations early, not rushing. I took into account the cold. I wanted to drive....not really fast.  I had downloaded some of their music before but I have not experienced a concert of theirs. I didn't want to listen until after seeing them. I know, a weird hang up of mine.
  Now I'm out the door and on my way to Whistler. You don't really drive fast with PJ Harvey as much as hmmm....walk hard...when driving.  Is This Desire, drive with it, workout to it.  Its still a mercilessly cold Wednesday night.  You want it remembered fondly and so off I go early. What I've heard from Glass Lux I like to no end and yet I kept the burn of that anticipation to one candle. Avoided hearing it until. Its something about not jinxing the moment that is slowly shaping the way you want it to, which at the very least means seeing the fucking band. Make too much fuss about it and its like scaring the deer you just wanted to see closer......no, certainly not shoot it! Not even a metaphorical deer....sorry. Anyway, this band. To start they sound to me like Italo disco. And seeing them close. I think I got to sit in a table right by the stage. This was hitting me like Golden Filter. It was smooth, fast and aggressive. I do believe they played Puppet . There is a new song they played that I regret not taking down as a video. I let it slide in part because I did not want to see it through a tiny screen documenting. I took the road of feeling it, being in the moment, sitting to music that inspires dance.
  The Whistler is small and this was loud enough to drown out casual conversation if there was any. There is no guitar, so its heavy and fast with a synth, and I do believe I saw an old Caifanes shirt on the drummer. I gotta ask him about that later. I gradually got a seat in the table closest to the stage. Its only after seeing them live and to better document it, that I look them up on Youtube. I fucking binged on a few Glass Lux videos, a Lookbook track, True To Form. And more glass binging with Glass Candy. Miss Broadway is the song.
  Back to our Glass Lux. When done right the combination of synth, powerful female voice and live drums absolutely kicks ass! So they have a song named Disco Light. And at least at first impression they sounded like a refined disco with heavy synth and live killer drums. I so needed to see this. And the fucking exclamation point is that they are local, from Chicago. I can lament how late my radar is in catching this band later. I'm happy to have caught them now. This imprint of theirs will keep evolving. I'm barely capable of putting it all down.
Zig





No comments: