Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Weyes Blood,Coins,Emily Moon




  On Friday 16 January I went to see Weyes Blood. I arrived early enough that I caught a good chunk of the opening act Emily Moon and she floored me. So I also saw all of Coins. I barely had the money to get me past the door and so all I can do is salivate at the merch table and pull myself away. That makes you appreciate differently what will play before you because its only the fading, imperfect memory with no tangible modern support for it like a bloody shirt, vinyl...CD, cassette, 8-track, fucking laser disc. And that played a part in how I took in Emily Moon. She was brilliant and I was too timid to tell her that later. I don't know when she'll play again. With Coins I can relax because I think I have all or most of what is available from them. Yeah, I bought the fucking cassette. I'm quite sure I will see them again since they are local. Indeed by seeing them live, the music unravels, reveals itself when I play it in my ipod later,...hmm the fucking concept of later, quite honestly. Thats a luxury I got with Coins. I see Angela on stage and I see all the times I saw her in Sybris, and that one time in the open air right near that boarded up church. And the translucent sheet at this Halloween show at Empt.....sorry....I recall an early gig as Coins at Whistler. And so the random cells recall all those times even as you see the person on stage playing their current artistic output. That performance becomes part of that greater mental canvas. And so it is with Coins.   With Weyes Blood, I had just that performance to soak up and the same goes for Emily Moon. One gig for you to consider for the long term. EM I heard as I got stamped at the door and so I dashed inside like I was missing something. My, were they great! The space between intimate, quiet, and minimal to loud, noir-ish dramatic explosions kept my attention. I did not see merch from them and that is a weird comfort 'cause I had nothing for it anyway. Emily Moon I would certainly see in a heart beat and I could be wrong but I think they are from Chicago. As I can recall now, she reminds me of Jill Tracy/Nicki Jaine. Hmm, that is who I will use to prop the memory up. Coins was so loud, and that caught me off. I plugged my ears. Its not a complaint. Their downloaded songs are whimsical, intimate with its faerie like voices and playful guitar and keyboard, and no drummer. I'm actually happy they were loud enough to drown out any casual hipster conversation. I don't recall which ones I heard. I just recall the one I didn't, which is Cave Life. Thats my song. Its actually the song I can best identify from them, and it spear heads from there. So I wandered about the place a lot. I would have sat down on the steps but the best un-awkward, out-of-the way real estate was taken. Weyes Blood is on. I don't honestly recall the names of the songs she played. I want to know  because I'm warming now to what I witnessed, 'cause I went in knowing I would not take home the instant modern hit of listening to it in the drive home, without the bloody shirt. And so take care to really feel the sand passing between you fingers. There are those moments when I regret not buying. Like this one night I saw The Prids. I could have bought the bloody shirt, but like a hungry, stupid beast I went across the street and had a pizza. Yeah, I threw up. So you see how this memory brandWB. The live show has me looking back to Youtube videos. I want to have the music and support the band. I just did not have enough then so I soaked up what I could with pictures.
Zig












No comments: