Monday, November 16, 2015

NOTS

  A Nots track each is like a different commuter train in some developing country that gets so packed and heavy for its dangerous trip that you gotta ride on top of it. And then it takes off, and either you hold and stay or not. This was a train that I caught but could not stay long on. I had no money left for any merch, so I had to let this one go and get it when they come back.












This was another free Monday at Empty Bottle. I went to go see Nots and fucking wow!!! They were fast, bassy, and abrasive. A free running sprint through the forest you can barely follow with a clumsy camera. Its the kind of music that is empowering upon hearing. Its straight-to-the-veins awesome! The first impression was from the live gig and I am most happy about that.  I would describe them as more garage than punk in its directness.  But that could just be my misunderstanding of both garage and punk. Even as direct as they sound, the psychedelic gives their nervous energy mystery. And it does not even slow them down.  For me that is a component of psych. It slows down to wonder. These girls don't even do that and its awesome! That I believe is because of how the lead singer's prowess on the guitar. Natalie Hoffman the lead singer has this commanding  yell of a voice, and a total mastery of the guitar. Charlotte Watson plays the drums. I believe they have been together the longest in the band. Alexandra Eastburn plays the synth and Madison Farmer plays bass.  Their debut LP is We Are Nots They all had mics and chimed in just the right moments. Natalie is a monster guitarist. I just love voices that are just too abrasive for American Idol type of auditions. Those voices are begging for scraps while these girls throw themselves at gigs from city to city in vans that always threaten to brake down before they reach them gigs.
Zig

No comments: