Friday, January 20, 2017

NOTS









  A comment from Aimee Mann when asked why her music is so depressing got me thinking about how I can write this thing on Nots. What? Aimee Mann is way fucking cool and a bad ass. Did y'all know she trained in boxing. Not to be a professional, just so that she can have more confidence and perform better on stage. She can knock your ass out before Samuel Jackson can say "mother fucker". A comment about how conflict figures in creating her music, sparked a much needed inspiration to write this. 
 
  Alright, I gotta keep this with Nots. I forgot when exactly I saw them. I do recall.  I went with a purpose of bringing something back. The first time I saw them, I had no money to buy their latest then We Are Nots. But they left their mark. So it was a mission to see them again when they came back.  And so this second time I came home with Cosmetic, their second release. If they returned a third time, I'd be so there. So a lot of time has passed since seeing them at Empty Bottle. A lot of time getting to know the individual songs like Rat King, Blank Reflection.
Those are not the only songs, just the names that are on the surface. During the performance I did not notice so much difference between each track. The variations seemed slight. But I was into everything they dished. I cannot recall which track I heard first.  A lot of time has passed to see, and get to know the engine. As I listen, I also read and observe the interviews. And they are insightful. Its perfect music for driving. And it leaves you thinking as well. I don't mean to reduce what they do to just music to distract myself as I drive from one place to another. If they sound angry, well, there is plenty to be angry about.  For me music that calls to me, and I identify with its usually because I like how they deal with conflict. So that's why ...even music that sounds happy only exists because it survives conflict.
 
  Abrasive, fast and powerful...Nots is a pitbull thrashing a ragdoll toy around mercilessly. When is thrashing ever merciful, right.? Not here, and not with this band.....and they are called NOTS and they are from Memphis. They are signed to Goner Records. Natalie Hoffman is as merciless on her guitar as she is skillful on it. I think she even busted a string on it. And she used the mic stand to play that guitar. I'm not a musician, so all this looks extremely skillful to me. Like when you know an instrument so well, that you gotta hotdog it like Amadeus playing Salieri. I tried mentally noting which songs I liked. As one imprinted, the next impatiently took the center. And they are all fast, like a long combined sustained sprint over rough terrain. And its not just raw power, there is a layer of psyche, experimental sounding weirdness thanks to Alexandra Eastburn's synth. So lets just add an acid trip to that sprint across that forest preserve, and you are chasing a monster that is now afraid of you. And this is what I feel is a component in their muscle car engine, a righteous anger,  the good fight if you will.
 
 
  All the members of the band are feminists and observant of the world around them. According to their interview with Bust Magazine. Cosmetic I think was partly written on the road. Natalie Hoffman writes the songs. When asked about what inspired the music, what stuck out to me was her mentioning Trump and all the hate and violence heard in the news. This just makes me want to have lyrics to read in front of me. I don't know that Cosmetic is a direct, pointed response to all that, at the same time as feminists, hell as observant human beings how can the music not be affected. It makes me happier to know its these warriors that I am supporting. I hope they run that monster down.
Zig


Alexandra Eastburn synths
Natalie Hoffman vocals, lead guitar
Charlotte Watson, drums
Meredith Lones, bass

No comments: