Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Fauvely EP Release at Empty Bottle

  Fauvely evolved and shaped the songs with each live performance. So these early shows really matter to me. In a way the gigs that I miss matter the most, the great unknown, and there was one such that still kinda hurts with Fauvely. Danielle from Impulsive Hearts was on stage with Sophie a Tuesday night 7th March at Burlington. Those are the singular moments you want to witness. So that made the EP Release for Fauvely at The Empty Bottle on the 30th a mission. Born Days also was there but, I was late for that. Watch Me Overcomplicate This, is the name, and the tracks are more fleshed out with more instruments and yet the tracks that I got way into retain that smallness, the wonderful intimacy that makes it mysterious. There again I noticed the violinist from Cafe Mustache, and Scott Cortez.
  Break is in the middle of the EP and if its not on repeat on my itunes, its getting played like that in my head. It haunts softly without being scary. I keep coming back to this idea of the guys from Ghost Adventures coming in for their usual lock down at some sad old haunted bed and breakfast. And the ghosts instead of just telling them to leave....on their fucking spirit box or making them queasy, or whatever ghosts do. In this fucking video they witness the ghost concert of their lives and its Fauvely playing Break.  And Zak....leave that ridiculous Affliction T-shirt at home for this one, ok?  You know what? Burn them all, that's why ghosts don't like you....damn did this tangent get away from me or what? I guess my point is that this music calls out to you and invites introspection like a haunted house, a place nearly forgotten but actually residing in the those hidden corners of the mind. The darker frontiers of the mind don't have to always be bad to be foggy. Sadness does not necessarily draw tears.




  This EP feels perfect for wandering without feeling lost. I still like the first versions of these tracks. I don't like deciding which versions I like more. The music lives and breathes and so I accept they must evolve. Shana Falana does this as well, she revisits older tracks and its really interesting when artists do this. Anyway that is not quite the same thing...my mind just wandered and there was Shana. Ok, so living and breathing tracks....Sophie played Quenchers this one time....Born Days was there too. This was before Scott Cortez joined the live band. He was in the audience actually. I think it was just Sophie and perhaps one other musician, the songs were in their delicate infancy, still not loud enough to be heard over some assholes talking in the background. Now the full band includes a violinist, three guitars if you include Sophie....and a drummer.  Scott Cortez is behind a lot of music that I like...going all the way back to Star...... they were a shoegaze band that I liked, around the time Panda Riot appeared on my radar, Star already was, and they were actually opening for a lot of good bands. Anyway, hmm, Astrobrite is his band. In the shoegaze world, he is a made man....with his own crew. Sorry, I just binged on Goodfellas and Donnie Brasco, some of that is bound to seep into my vocabulary. My point with this is that I like to see musicians support each others projects. And I notice that whether its Danielle from Impulsive Hearts or Scott.  I came home happy to have seen this at Empty Bottle. That place is always supportive of local artists. Ok, this is long I need to post this.
Zig

No comments: