Friday, March 16, 2018

Starcrawler at Empty Bottle

  Shirley Manson from Garbage, changed in Arrow's bedroom. Arrow's mom is the photographer Autumn de Wilde. I read that somewhere and it blows me away. And here I am now seeing this live gig, describing the evolving, churning memory. Arrow sings lead. I saw their video for I Love L.A. and that got me to see them in Empty Bottle. There were a whole lot of videos to trip over that I noticed later. Starcrawler has been touring all over with their debut self-titled album. And I can see why there are so many videos. Its a real sight to capture Arrow going nuts and spitting fake blood, wrapping the cord of the mic around her neck.....and then around the neck of some random nearest fan.  They make a point of shattering that forth wall between them and the audience. They are not stoic performers. This can be seen with what they wear. Arrow's long and gangly frame makes whatever she wears a costume that adds to the crazy for the stage. And its only for the stage, in interviews Arrow seems way cool and chill and nice and not....weird. The entire band I read is very young.
  On stage they are live wired and animated. The wanton burn of chaotic energy starts with her eyes. Arrow is crazy and I was lucky not to be the poor guy to be pulled up to the stage by a lasso made by her from the mic cord. Anyway, well that happened but...I kinda jumped ahead to it. But...well. What do you expect. After they break the fourth wall, they tend to come after people. I don't mean just Starcrawler. And Ms Arrow could not help but to come back to the stage with this dude on a leash...singing the whole fucking time. I don't mean she kept her stray audience pet. Arrow is strictly catch and release. But still she goes and hunts. Anyway it was over and done in seconds it seems. What are you gonna do, keep the bastard on stage with you? And she would get down from the stage during I think Chicken Woman and ran around the crowd.  
  LA Weekly has Ms Arrow calling bands nowadays boring. I'm starting to see where her thirst for hunting into her audience comes from. I'm blaming you shoegazers! Behold the monster you unleash when ya'll are too busy staring into the pedal board and not bothering to actually perform! I'm sorry...I kinda ran with this and I was just taking the piss out....totally in jest I assure you. But anyway its interesting to read about and see impressions of who you just saw.  And they are not boring. And they are fucking young! I got band-shirts that are almost out of university and some still in high school. I got a retirement home full of band-shirts older than Ms Arrow.That same LA Weekly magazine calls them glam punk revivalists like The Lemontwigs. The punk is there to toughen up, dirty up the theater, the glamour. What Ms Arrow wore indeed looked beautiful and weathered for the Empty Bottle show. I apologize for mentally bouncing between the memory of the band and the band I research and read about.  That magazine called them glam punk revivalists. Did not stop with the glam punk. This well describes the rear-view mirror on their forward driving classic muscle car. That would explain...nay....describe what they sound like to me. And it reinforces and adds an extra layer of depth into the memory of the live show. The CD sounded great in the car on the way home.



It was not just the amount of videos on Youtube that you can trip over, it was the written coverage I looked up on line. They seem to be getting a lot of attention. There was even this interview done by this kid on Youtube. Arrow seemed to be genuinely sweet and cool. So I came home with the CD.
Zig






No comments: