Monday, September 24, 2018

Exploded View is coming

  I saw her as Anika at Empty Bottle way back in 2011. That just feels so long ago.  Her deep chalky voice that can almost replace James Earl Jones and stoic performance I found absolutely fascinating. Sadness Hides The Sun I recorded on my camera. What Anika says in the title of this song I would say about every song I encounter from her.  I liked Anika because she was this Noir soundtrack that never fucking quits. With shadows cast in words and music. Its easy to follow what she says and move to the music behind her. This was one of them shows that I found myself visiting again in my memory a lot. Her music was deep, the words powerful, and all together bassy and movement inducing. You wanna dance to this shit and put your hips into it, because its fucking sexy.  Anika branded her mark.  The only relic I took home was this poster from the wall. I don't often see them dated down to the year. I did not buy any merch. More than likely I was too broke. Without taking something home I got YouTube videos of Anika. So some distance comes with the familiarity. The Noir never left with Exploded View. And they are coming to Empty Bottle this November.
 Only with a brightest sun will you cast the darkest shadows. That is Exploded View, bringing the clouds at 3pm. Exploded View seems to have come from the Blade Runner universe.  As far as fictional dystopian worlds....yeah, I would say more Blade Runner than Mad Max....no, not even with Charlize Theron. This is Blade Runner/Brazil day or night an urban future world forever dark and in slow decline. Brightest Sun, harshest Sun. Anyway, here I am trying to go on about this band and look where an unleashed mind brings back while your out looking for the music that seems to suit best.
 My experience with Exploded View begins with Anika and continues like its an old and weathered Soul Train. Anika rides this train with a Vulcan steeled indecipherable poker face. She's a chill hand that holds the reins over shit. Its wondrous to see it live.  Sadness is one of those that hit you like its Ian Curtis telling you himself.  And his voice had that nervous mechanical quality to it. The stoic Anika  under the surface.....you know how Obama had his Anger Translator.  You just wanna see what that look like. We wait the Vulcan to betray any expression. That is part of it, her near mechanical delivery and yet every track is it's own self sustaining legend.  She makes it work and I am glad she is coming back. Masters Of War she owns it with her own muscle.  I can hear all of them in a row, I don't feel over saturated, or over exposed to the artist. I can YouTube binge on Anika like you wouldn't believe.  So this binge will naturally bring me to her work with Exploded View, her new band and self titled debut album on Sacred Bones Records. And where do I start....its like getting on a moving merry-go-round. Orlando is steady, powerful and disciplined.....and that video for it in the beginning...wow. Lost Illusions broods and simmers with a purpose over Anika's indifferent wails.
  No More Parties In The Attic so far even before seeing them live is a highly anticipated favorite of mine.  After binging on her videos, a signature emerges, becomes recognizable.  Every song has her stamp but they all have their own reasons to be someones favorite.  Each track holds its own like they are the only one worth hearing.  This show at Empty Bottle in early November....I hope I make it to this.
Zig

No comments: