Sunday, December 2, 2018

Lightfoils

  I missed their part of the show at Chop Shop, but they introduce me to so much and I came home with more music than I knew what to do with. Lightfoils released their latest. The pictures I post up here now are of previous shows I caught. They opened for Ringo Deathstarr and they played Summer Time. That is the song that got me into Ringo Deathstarr. Perhaps I should have saved that for the Ringo Deathstarr post.  So Even as I missed Lightfoils their presence I felt and I took home their latest Chambers and wow is it brilliant.   It means something to me when they open for bands like Ringo Deathstarr. They are kind of a medium big fish, in the same pond Lightfoils shares with them. These are made people. Yeah, let's put it that way. It helps to put some other well worn metaphors down.  Lightfoils has put in the work to be known locally for a long time. I don't know honestly how well received they are beyond Chicago. That is something I am curious about.  Its possible you may like Ringo D without giving a shit for Lightfoils.
  One can argue that its too likely that one would already know both. Yeah, this was a incomplete dream gig to see as I missed the Lightfoils end. I cannot imagine their show went on without playing  This Time Is Up.  I'm still into the novelty of seeing my friends put a video with their new music.  I'm into this song. I don't know if this makes sense, but there are bands that I would use to introduce novices into a certain type of music. Meaning that....its easy to get into them. I think.  They are the gateway drug into a larger world and also into their own back catalogue. For me this is Lightfoils. This Time Is Up is the song. The curiosity spills over into what is next, what came before as well as hold your attention for the moment that it has you. The aggressive drums twist, stop and turn on sharp corners. The bass must then respond in kind, blunting the sharper ends, and creating its own impact. Then dueling layers of guitar swirling and spinning about in a near psychedelic trance. Jane's voice ethereal, surfs the aggressive waves.  
  Summer Nights starts with a more relaxed, familiar pace that sneaks into a faster almost psychedelic sprint. It's 8 minutes....but they don't fuck around with it. They don't make you hear filler shit. Its well worth listening to. I like the drums on Duende. It's the first thing to give the song it's pulse that is felt even in segments when it is absent. On this foundation Jane's voice can climb and soar.  Its where the traction begins. From there all other elements can function with ease, sounding almost separate from each other momentarily like they can take it into a jam session.  Honeydew takes me to the crystalized reason I began to like them to begin with.  It takes me back to before Hierarchy, the fucking REMIX LP. It has that original sweetness. And it does something extra to me to have this as the last song. It feels like a reassurance. Something that says we are still us, and we are still here. I'm glad they are here and that this is where they are from. The Bitter Over won me over last....I researched mostly YouTube and then Bandcamp.   If the songs are long, the time was well spent. Its for me like when Warpaint decide to jam in the middle of the song. The length is not self-indulgent. Its cool, I would not want the songs any shorter. Chambers is great for every single track for me.
Zig






No comments: