Thursday, March 28, 2019

Eve Black /Into The Nothing








  I must not have paid that much attention to this song after I downloaded the whole Into The Nothing EP.  Eve Black opened with Dancing With The Green Faire and it hit me as if it was a new song. It did not register as something I've heard before.  I made a note to ask Rani if that first song was new and lo and behold I already had it downloaded! This show was at Livewire Lounge, this dive bar way up on Milwaukee Ave past Belmont. I was trying to avoid calling it a dive bar, but yeah. The washrooms lean on the nasty side.
  It is profoundly therapeutic to have these small gigs to go. It is self-exploration.  These artists, they create the work that kind of holds us up. Individual songs on the EP are carving their space in memory, and some wait for the moment for it to feel like the first time.  And each song that hits when it does, renews the whole album for me. The shirt too is so beautiful, and understated, plain. So Green Faire is I was told is about absinthe.  I remember going to Whitby I would hear a lot about absinthe and all the history with it.  By the time you try it, you already have had so much better over the years. It's a cassette without the download code. Anyway, that is not about the song. When I see Rani, I cannot help but see the continuum of performances from the one Girl Detective show I saw through her Dream House days and now in Eve Black. If I mention bands that are at least 10 years old and beyond in comparison I think it is because they got some dark staying power. Mephisto Waltz, Changelings, The Shroud....Swarf. These bands were our contemporaries. Or at least......No longer were we appreciating from our high school years but well into our adult years. Those are the bands that come to mind when I think of Eve Black.  
  Marci and I are friends with the band. It's so unique to have this with the music you listen to. When it's small, support carries a different meaning. Some things are magnified as they are small, because you as a fan are small as well. There is uniqueness that comes with small. It's not saying you lose it by the time you are supporting fucking Mode on their North American leg of a world tour.  Fuck...where did I park the car again?  Right...so, we walk in just before they set up. There is this sloppy drunk couple stumbling about.  I know it's a dive bar, but let's not get taken by that. They must have gone into them nasty bathrooms twice to have sex  like they was in Shameless. It was amazing they were not kicked out. They were mostly behind me but you could not truly ignore them.  At first it seemed as if it was the guy held it together for both of them. By the time Eve Black was on that was not the case. Anyway. The pictures I got were all on my ipod and I am having trouble uploading them on my aging mac. So here are some pictures from the one show at Martyrs I think. I really had to hall ass to this Martyrs show.  It was after seeing Fauvely somewhere else and then Eve Black.  I really liked how great the band sounded live.  Songs that I did not notice before, they put right in front and made me a fan all over again. It did not just happen with Green Faire. It's three dimensions once you have a live drummer....Hi Rick!! Yeah, I believe I was dancing to this. It was a good time after the show as well.  Going to these events is a necessary thing to do, or all these negative news cycles combined with one's own negative ruminations can take over the space and time you give them. I think it's important to recognize the Emily Dickinson's early, in their lifetime and not all late about it. In recognizing something you help it survive. We see ourselves in this music and so these mirrors must continue. The culture we collect with our time and memory we seek to archive and continue it.
Zig
 

No comments: