Sunday, January 11, 2009

Alla, Late December

The last time I saw this band was at Subterranean on a Thursday in late December.  It snowed like it was 1979.  When I arrived to see them the streets were clear.  When the night was done everything was covered in white.   The snow could be seen coming down as Percolator played their set.   I did like Percolator to my surprise.  Every song was a new reason to stay and brave the snow.  But I came to see Alla.  They were the reason why I chose to brave the snow to begin with.    Everyone, including the other bands were in awe of Alla.  They were feeling a bit down I believe.  This tour that they so wanted to do, they had to cancel or postpone 'cause they were broke.  And that night their bass player got sick and could not make it.  I am in awe of them still for existing against these odds.  For being broke and still being a group is victory to me.  A battle won.  The struggle makes them great.  I can't romanticize it too much.  They really were ready for this tour.  There are other towns that can't wait to see them.  Jorge, the lead songwriter of the band had to make the hard decision to not do the tour.  I know it hurt, but they got such great heart for hanging in there.    The label that they are under will take them on tour in Europe.  Yeah!!!!  

I take them to be contemporaries.  Their oldest member is the drummer.  Two years younger than me.  They are all Mexican, and from Chicago.  There is a lot of unspoken shorthand there.  A lot of what makes me, made them as well.   My mom is always disarmed and feels completely familial towards people that are straight from her home town.  I think I know how that feels now.  This band Alla how they express their Mexican roots in song is singular, and  resonant to me.  They played Schubas and at Reckless Records on a Thursday, and all I recall from that night was the cold, below zero most of the day.   Cars would not start.  It was just inhuman how cold it was.  Yet, I could not let that be a Law&Order-on-cable night.  Alla playing free at a record store was reason enough to start the car and keep it warm.  I had no idea  the night I would be claiming that this band's performance was one part of.  I didn't see them at Shubas, 'cause it was sold out.    
 
These pictures are still from the first night I saw them in 2007, I think.   I will post pictures from the very night I reference but these few have to be put up as well.  These are from when the imprint was first made.  I took so many 'cause it was about capturing the performance for later.  Enjoying it for the moment means that when you walk out the door, you only have one's fleeting memory to preserve it.  At the time of these pictures, the CD was not yet available.    


No comments: