Tuesday, February 17, 2009

pezzettino on Friday 13 Feb




Reggies on Chicago's south side I went to go see a girl with an accordion.  That's right.  Her stage name is Pezzettino.  I looked up who was playing on that day, found that I liked what I heard on her myspace page.  Listening to tango music opens you up.  The Bandoneon is one of the coolest instruments around, and we got Argentina to thank for it.  I suppose I've learned to seek it out in some way here.  The accordion is it's closest equivalent and I've noticed more and more musicians are using it.  Well, that can be due to what I deliberately seek out.....alright I'm going on this tangent, on to the band.
   One has to admire a musician that can go it alone on stage with an instrument as unusual as an accordion....or anything.  I totally am into Uni and Her Ukulele  who came to Chicago late in 2007.  At the very least I had to see and hear Pezzettino live.  I walk into Reggie's and  there is Ms Pezz herself (Margaret Stut), looking pretty with this massive accordion.  I caught the last four songs I think.  I know I caught "Pendulum", well the last 30 seconds of it...damn.  That song left an imprint.  There is this darkness to that acccordion, like when you played a record backwards just to see how satanic it is.  It's on her current CD "Because I Have No Control".   The other songs I believe are from the new CD "Lion" which will be released some time in April.  On "Control" she also plays piano.  Minimal and effective.  Right off I l love about four songs,  It's just her and the piano or the accordion, and I hear it and I don't need to hear any other thing other than what she already does.  Maybe it's just me turning 36, or not.  I find it urgently necessary for me to support the smaller bands, for they are the true measure of our culture.  The trees that don't make a sound to you as they fall I hear loud and clear.  Perhaps it's that I choose to stay in this forest of mine, of which Pezzettino is a neighbor from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  I gotta go and kill me this writers block.
Zig
Oh, Pezzettino will play Uncommon Ground in Chicago March 2nd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I can't remember what day (terribly sorry), but I know its this week.

Happy Birthday Zig!

-Cai