Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Golden Filter



 It's been far too long since I last wrote on this thing and there are so many performers that I've seen that I need to write about, so let us begin.
Last Friday 27 February, I saw with Greg my brother-in-law this smoothest of cool band Golden Filter.   They played at the Sonotheque.   The venue itself is great.  I saw Flutter there when she had her CD release party for "Dolls Like Me".   I always like going to the Sonotheque.  We walk into the place and it seems like a regular club night.  There is no sense of anticipation about the band.  That I found puzzling.  There was DJ equipment all over the stage as well as instruments, but no feeling that there will be a band playing, and that fucked with me.  I could not enjoy the music that was playing in the club 'cause I kept thinking I got the wrong place.   I started to feel embarrassed because I brought along someone else.   I relaxed when I was told Golden Filter would be on at midnight.  
This band I was anticipating since about a month ago.   They describe themselves as "pop, disco house, death metal" on their myspace page.   They are from New York.  It takes less than a minute to be a fan of their dark disco smoothness.  "Solid Gold" is pure timeless disco of the most refined.  This is the song that hooked me.   In terms of what I have documented here, if one likes the more clubby dancey Chloe Day, Golden Filter is an effortless sell.  This band goes down easy with no cheesy after-taste.  It's too well chilled.  They will be back in April at the Metro.  I'm so glad I caught them before at such an intimate venue as Sonotheque.  They are a bit mysterious.  The stage stayed dark through they entire performance.  The beautiful lead singer shrouded behind her blond hair.  This band is just beyond excellent.
Zig

No comments: