Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hollow, Monday 13 April






  So on a whim I look at what is going on at the Empty Bottle and see that Hollows are playing there on a Monday.  It was one one of their free Monday nights.  How else are you going to feel better about being broke?  One must still find moments to remember even as you are broke.  Going to see a band in the most awkward of days feels like you are defying the bad times.  Making them good.  I followed the links to the Hollows Myspace page and listened and damn!  I can't believe it's for free.  Any chance there is steal a weekend feeling moment from the weekend I take it.    Hollows sounded right away like something I would ask for a day off work.  There are three female vocalists Maria who plays keyboard, Emma plays bass, Meg guitar.  There is also a sax and a drummer.  It's mostly Maria and Emma who do most of the singing.  They weave their voices around.  They reminded me of The Dials at first.  This is a compliment to them....both of them.  But this comparison is only a beginning, and there are departures from it.  I have said that if one liked The Bangles, The Go Gos back in the 80's then The Dials are your band now, after all they are a contemporary band.  Yet, I would not make the same comparison with Hollows and those 80's bands.  I guess my mental back catalogue does not have anything to help me to describe them.   I did once see The Slits at Subterranean like almost two years ago, and I can understand that Hollows list them as influences.  The Slits are old, and I'm still not familiar enough with them to use as a point of comparison.   When I saw them it was also on a whim and I noticed how renowned they were among their fans.  I felt like the only kid without his homework done.    Hollows have yet to release a CD yet, so I caught them early.   Yeah, based on seeing The Slits I cans say that if you like that band Hollows will be something to see, since they are a young band.   For a Monday night they amassed quite a large crowd, familiar with them.   The audience even managed to squeeze out an encore out of Hollows.    I like what I heard.  I like how each voice is a separate pillar holding up the song.  This is indeed a band I would pay to see again.  And to think this is but a beginning.  Imagine how deep the well runs.  

No comments: