Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pezzettino last Thursday



I missed Pezzettino's full band performance but I did hear the CD after getting it in the mail.  I liked Pezz' first CD "Because I Have No Control".   When I heard the second CD "Lion" I became a fan all over again, and this is just with the first four songs.  So I suppose in the absence of pictures of her very performance which I was too late to see, I will rant on the recorded music of her second CD Lion.   
   She plays the accordion with this Nick Cave coolness.  "Proved You Wrong" has the accordion understated in the background, letting the words do their thing until the accordion rises to the foreground giving the song another kind of breath to start over again.  It's not the only time there is this ebb and flow in a song, listen to "Walk From Here". Ms Pezz lets the song almost drift off before breathing it new life.  .....How do I say this, how can I articulate?  Each song I hear the accordion in makes me look forward to how she plays it next.  Listen to "Parasite", "Bumblebee", "Proved You Wrong".  Ms Pezz is just that consistent with it.   There are times where her use of the accordion reminds me of the harmonium.  Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan can just easily sing over her accordion for a short 12 minute song.  The piano reminds me of that recent fling PJ Harvey has had with it.  The same seriousness, only more playful, like say Amanda Palmer.   Then there are the lyrics.  Where the fuck do I begin with there.  I feel smarter every time I listen.  She has this empowering wit that is straight forward.  Nicki Jane, Jill Tracy, Emily Autumn, Uni and Her Ukulele, and now Pezzetino.  It's as if they all read at the same Bookstore, or went to the same Catholic grammar school.  In my mind this school and this indy book store are both in Twin Peaks. 
  You really don't need to read the lyrics, 'cause they are so crystal clear like a thought you had that she just articulated better for you.  Feelings, thoughts one has Pezzettino crystalizes into real empowering statements.  You can seriously put some of these songs in an indy Neopolitan mob movie with Chris Walken....and Tim Burton directing.  The music lends itself to images, situations, without being too specific.  A total soundtrack.   This band can have such a fan base among the gothic crowd.  For fans of the Projekt label, Pezzettino is for you.  So there I ranted.  This artist deserves support because she harnesses into song what is in thought. Zig 

No comments: