Monday, July 20, 2009

Pezzettino Thursday 2 July






I missed Pezz the last time they came to Chicago at Empty Bottle. Alla', played the same night. But I was late for Pezz, but I made up for it this night at Reggies. I left home thinking I was already late. Pezzettino was supposed to be first. I hauled ass with this late thing hanging over my head. There was a massive traffic jam on I-55, so I got off on California. The whole time I was thinking of what I was missing at Reggies every moment I spent in the car. At least it's still not that hard to find parking. I always seem to find that same spot. I park the car and run the rest of the way there. I'm either incredibly late or incredibly early, the pendulum swings. The guy at the door tells me Pezzetino is not on yet as I catch my breath. A girl on stage alone with her guitar, I let stay in the background. I'm looking for where to sit, and I'm looking for ms Margaret. My eyes dart around and I recognize her drummer sitting at a table. There they are, just chillin'. Ms Pezz sees and recognizes me from before and kicks out a chair. I like it when the Pendulum swings my way like this. My shy streak makes me clumsy when talking to the bands that I like, and I come off like this overbearing asshole....at least that is what I fear. But not this time, and it felt nice.
This night at Reggies put together bands with female arm wrestling. It colored the night with other memorable people, like this girl called "Tacklebox" I think. She was pretty and tomeboyish. Hammy in this cool way. A crowd favorite. There were other girls, like the one from the last band Furious Frank. I only took pictures of Pezzettino's performance but what played around her and after her was noteworthy as well. It was nice to just sit with Pezz and bull shit along with them before they actually play. By that time, I already enjoy a familiarity with many of Pezzettino's songs. I find them to be intelligent, articulate and sharp. They are direct and eloquent like dialogue in a play. There is darkness and venom but to the fan they stem from righteous anger. I'm talking about songs like "parasite", "proved you wrong","walk from here". Margaret says things that we wish we said ourselves. So, I'm thinking all this and there she is at the same table, figuring out which songs to play....I don't want to freak her out by being this overbearing super-fan. Pezzettino is not entirely about anger, sadness, and telling them off. Her happy songs are quite disarming. On her first cd "Because I Have No Control" there is a cool song about traveling. Her uhm...happy songs have that same indy movie coolness of bands like Panda Riot. I'm not saying they sound alike as much as they belong in the same indy movie.
So they have a few female arm-wrestling contests before Pezzettino actually perform, I get to bullshit around with the drummer as well as Margaret. Their bass player didn't make it this time I think because of car trouble. This girl "Tacklebox" wins but she has a good sense of humor about things. I like how the girl-arm-wrestling thing kept the audience constantly engaged between the bands. As familiar as I am with Pezzettino's music this Thursday would be my first time seeing the full band performance. The drummer really makes a difference. Up until then I've only seen Margaret play alone with her accordion, or on a piano. She is a powerful performer every time. It's in the sweeps of her accordion, and in the flash of serious emotion in her face, like an argentine master. She wields her instrument like a weapon she knows well. Margaret was just manhandling it and people just cheered her on for it. She had the audience with "Parasite", "All That Glitters Isn't Gold".....I became a fan all over again. This is like the third time I feel that for this band. Here are some pictures from that night. I'll put more but this has to be put out now.
Zig

No comments: