Wednesday, July 22, 2009

phantogram




I think this was a Wednesday, in June. I saw this band in Subterranean on North Ave. Actually I missed most of the show. My Gold Mask played first I know that, but since they performed before Phantogram I missed them entirely. I took my aunt to some far away mall. Alright so I miss most of Phantogram, but what I caught was significant. They are Joshua Carter and Sarah Barthel. I think they are from New York City. I walked in and started taking pictures and once video. By this time I forgot what I liked about the band. The research I did was barely recalled. All that I remember was that I did liked what I heard on their myspace page. So I captured what I could. I noticed how sparse the audience was, perhaps My Gold Mask saw the bulk of it and they thinned out later, I don't know. I still had not formed an opinion at the time I captured what was left of Phantogram. I could have been frugal and just said fuck it, don't buy nothin' and go home. But I bought their CD. I heard it later and I have to say, FUCKING HELL this is good. The song that imprinted on me "When I'm Small" captures you first with the beat and then the guitar then Sarah's voice. Each added instrument holds your attention to the greater whole. You know how Portishead just holds you even when they are slow. Phantogram can do it with this song. I can just see this song at Neo or Nocturna. This is goth club worthy music to dance to. It's a mid-tempo song, something that lets you concentrate your movements when dancing to it. It's electronic music that still has this organic non-electronic feel to it. Well, in part because of the electric guitar. Even mid tempo songs fall into this danger of letting your attention wander away from it but not with this song from Phantogram. I can't believe I almost allowed myself to miss it all together. I'm happy for what I captured.

No comments: