Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Ettes at Sub T's





I go see The Ettes 28 August, a Friday. I was really anticipating it. White Mystery played before them. It was something to go on time to. I still missed the opening act Tiger Spirit. They got them out of the way far too early. Their CD was just two dollars so I took my chances. White Mystery I've known about for a while but this was my first time seeing them. I liked them, enough to wish their CD wasn't sold out. The Ettes I've only known about since June I think. They have been to Chicago at least 3 times before. Where the fuck have I been? I liked this band so much I wished I was there those previous 3. The brief research I did made me want to go see them. The individual members all come from the east coast, but they all met in L.A. Indeed the band formed there around 2004, and now I think they moved again, to Tennessee where it's a far cheaper cost of living. They have traveled and called many places home, I imagine. The lead singer Coco, .......I love that name, she looks latina to me. Anyway, that Friday she was all in black and mod. This was one of those performances when it is a struggle between wanting to dance and wanting to take pictures and video. And perhaps that betrays the mood of the crowd. A lot of people danced. The crowd was way into them. It really is something when they are beautiful and fem and still have this naturally dominant authority come out of the music, like a muscle car that they fixed themselves. And they are all drivers. Their second CD will come out on 29th September. I love the EP and the previous full length, I'm glad they will be back with Juliet Lewis on Friday 2 Oct. This time I'll get the shirt.

No comments: