Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Spiritual Bat





So last week. A friend of mine told me that she was having over in her place this band from Italy called Spiritual Bat. They were to perform at Nightlight Cafe Friday 18 September and Darkroom on the 20th. It's fun when you go only on the word of a friend (thank you Michelle) that you will like a certain band and that you can come and meet them. Just like that. When you get included you just go 'cause I'm a fucking moth. I can't tell the flame from the moon light. Off I go to risk the difference, and sure enough there they are on Michelle's couch, this lovely Italian couple Rosetta and Dario who were 24 hours away from making a fan out of me. They were being interviewed, and I listened, because I wanted clues as to what I would eventually listen to live the next night. Rosetta's hair was loosely dreadlocked. It worked very well for her. It felt as if I was the only one in the room that has not done his homework on them. And to a degree it was deliberate. I wanted the live Spiritual Bat experience to overwhelm me. It was very curious to see everyone around me taking pictures with the band and having their CD's signed and all that. If I wait until after I hear them, this moment behind the scenes will have passed and so I had to take it blind. Happy I am now to have done so. When a band or anyone for that matter travels far and wide and includes you in their journey it makes one feel special. This I feel regardless of what I think of the music they play. I'm still very grateful for being included in the journey, and Spiritual Bat came all the way from Italy to do gigs in the States. They are far from home, and so I deeply appreciate their trip to see us here. Before I show the concert pictures, I want to show the ones before the performance.

No comments: