Saturday, October 10, 2009

Phantogram





I saw these guys again, at Bottom Lounge . I got their entire performance. The last time I saw them, at Subterranean I only got on time for their last song, "When I'm Small". The imprint was not set then. I could have been frugal and not get the ep, but I said fuck it and got it anyway. The imprint started after that first show, when I would play the cd in the car. These guys have that Portishead coolness that is effortless, and natural, yet they are an original creation. It's not the same as saying they sound like them. On "Small", the hip-hop beats feel like they are in their natural state, not in a zoo, at ease with the psychedelic. For a band that uses all kinds of electronic stuff, they sound very....organic. I don't get why the crowd was kind of not as into them. They seem to be more of a college, Q 101 crowd, not really into the street wise, Portishead coolness of these two old high school buddies. Their names are Joshua M Carter and Sarah D Barthel from Saratoga Springs, New York. They are best described as street beat/psych/pop. That describes perfectly "When I'm Small". Really these guys were absolutely awesome and they are just beginning. They barely got an ep out with five songs. They combine live sampling with loops, Joshua's swirling guitar, Sarah's keyboard, voice. During the month of October they will be touring England, and I'm happy that they are.

No comments: