Monday, October 19, 2009

Stella Luce





I just remember it was a Wednesday in October when I saw this band at The Empty Bottle, I did not know Stella Luce existed the day before. I'm glad I did not miss them. It feels as if other performers like Rasputina, Emily Autumn have prepped me for appreciating Stella Luce. There were others that I was going to mention but I can't recall them right now. This is not the same as saying Stella Luce sounds like these other bands. SL I like for how they are different as well as how they are alike. They describe themselves as electro-acoustic, which sounds just about right. I was struggling with how to describe them. It was unfortunate how thin the crowd was for this band, and no one that I would describe as remotely goth. They were quite the thing to witness. Considering the following that Rasputina and EA have now, Stella Luce does certainly deserve the same kind of attention. They all got this same sharp wit like they went to the same Catholic school or something. Well, at the same time smart is what I look for in an artist. In the song "Be Still My Bleeding Heart" Alana Rolfe the lead singer has this rapid fire wit that sometimes sprints across before slowing down and letting the instruments catch up. And there are other songs that deserve attention. "Death March" sounds to me like an Eastern European Waltz. It would be interesting to see how this song makes people move on a gothic night dance floor. It just needs to be expressed and appreciated collectively like that. Nothing here strikes me as sounding formulaic. Each song has it's own gravitational pull. Electro-acoustic is exactly right. I hope to see them again, with a wider audience that I believe goth culture can be. It's a matter of putting the two in the same space.
Zig

No comments: