Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Architecture





I like shoegaze music. It came to my attention by way of goth music and culture. In terms of my own experience, in the order that things just came to me. There is a lot of music I like the came to me by way of that filter. Scary Lady Sarah brought to my attention the live performances of a number of bands under that net. So my own narrative and experience with shoegaze will have her influence. During a common goth night if it's Cocteau Twins that first put you on a dance floor. If that is how you found your rhythm. Well, it is not so much about dancing but what are your parameters of appreciation, what gets and keeps your attention and what does not. Certain bands can just open a door that never closes. For me that left me open for local acts like Star, Panda Riot, and so inevitably architecture. Alright, so the first two on the same night. Star at first I noticed would gig a lot locally, opening for bands not really tethered to shoegaze, and then nothing. Panda Riot on the other hand continue to perform and evolve and now are signed to a local label. I can't even count how many times I've seen them at Empty Bottle. Let's just say your a fan. Your blind spot would have to be really big to not know architecture. I know technically they are distinct but at this point y'all are conjoined twins to me. The one constant being Rebecca Scott. So blunt are my ears, so fuzzy my sight but happy I am to have seen both live. I think it was a Monday when I went to go see this band. It turns out I was on time to see them and Planets. I'm glad I saw them together, they were so different. Lets say Wax and Wane jolts you to the floor, architecture can keep you there with........ They evoke the same mysterious cloud but with a more clearly spoken text. It's in the perfect rhythm for a 30+ goth with a hard wired mid 90's pace. So there is a dance floor worthy of this music and the local promoters to further appreciate this. If you are already sold on Panda Riot then architecture at least an easy sell. For this performance they even had their drummer. I do wonder how the person that discovers them on their ipod first thinks about them, what is the first visual they get from hearing it? Are they as mysterious as they sound? Visually they are no more weird looking than the people that go see them at Empty Bottle on a Free Monday. Strictly casual comfort clothes and delivery that perhaps subtexts to the fan that they can do this as well. Or it could be just me over-reading what they are not projecting. It's not hard to imagine bands that sound like architecture, They easily evoke other iconic bands with that shoegaze tag, but how many can you see live and behind some liquor store for more cost to them than it was you even with the 5$ cover?

No comments: