Friday, November 4, 2011

Still Corners

The pictures could have been better.


Sarah invited me to go see them at Schubas. This was something I almost missed, almost. And for that it's something I cherish more. Still Corners have breathy female vocals clear like something meant to be followed. Having said that I'll figure out what Endless Summer says later 'cause it's too much fun hearing. The voice is just one more amazing instrument. I'll enjoy discovering what the songs says to me later. Can't be bothered to analyze it. It's not just the product of the singer. The keyboard drone if I may describe it so highlights a tragic imprint. My attention is drawn but braces for a sadness foretold. Often it feels like her voice is the only thing that holds your attention, but lets get back to the live moment. Sarah invited and off I went. I arrived to hear a good three four songs. That's long enough to catch a good live impression to superimpose over hearing it at home. The visual I get is what my mind will always visit this moment like a holodeck from Star Trek. This Thursday I almost did not share with William and Sarah. It was a very porous crowd, on the light side of medium to be generous. I can't remember which song I heard first live. Tessa don't move much. That makes it easy to take pictures so it's no complaint. However you are inclined to present your work live is how I wanna see it. This concert brightened the dull midweek low like only surprise left turns can. Too damn poor to deserve to enjoy and yet there I am grateful to have the moment to feel right there and document to analyze later. As of late it is a rare gasp of therapy. What you incidentally and deliberately listen to form a kind of soundtrack that better colors your own personal narrative. Endless Summer held in it's translucent glow the fragility of nice moments that come in the middle of a sadness felt. You can really dance some demons away to this one. Catharsis with a cool empowering finish. Creatures Of An Hour is the CD Still Corners were touring for, and I can listen to it multiple times. All the songs have like that, cool and noir feeling. Lets you tolerate a deep hard interior look. But perhaps I weigh this with too much unworthy baggage. This works if you're giddy too. I'm not saying you need to be sad to like this. Its not so slow that it will put you to sleep. Goths in a shoegaze night can certainly find the rhythm to dance to this. You're hardcore if you drive to this. It relaxes a drive you already intend to make. Revisiting the night, Schubas can look so big sometimes but one can tell the crowd was not incidental, if sedate and relaxed. This was not the loud driven shoegaze of Ringo Deathstar. Still Corners don't seem to be in a rush. They are coasting the natural downward slope. Having said that, you won't feel bored with their pace. Small or big they were there for you without question. It felt like that for Still Corners. William and Sarah were the only definite goths among them. And then there was me. Each song I hear I replay the highlights of that night. I nod and smile to Sarah and William again, glow in the conversation we have later.

No comments: