Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Panda Riot,Magic Key at Hideout



This is from Hideout.
These here are of Rebecca Scott of Panda Riot. Some are of when they played Hideout this last time. I got so many pictures of these two bands accumulated. I just decided to first post these older pictures as well.

This is Magic Key I think during one of their previous names.

You go see what's familiar in part because the performers change and evolve faster than their output suggests. Believing that each performance is a unique moment that deserves to be remembered, is not just a metaphor. Magic Key was briefly called Aleks/Eva and before that Aleks And The Drummer. I love this band for two reasons, what is on the only CD they got out (May A Lightning Bolt Caress) and for what they perform live that they have yet to put on CD...at least as far as I notice when I take a peak at the merch table. Familiar and mysterious as your interior castle are songs I cannot name but anticipate. Dark and urgent as her recorded work, this two person drama now feels like a full on Ibsen play with more consequential players, and storylines. Sometimes its a whole band, sometimes its Aleks alone with her keyboard representing MK. She's always surprising you and I like that about her. What's on CD is in amber, distant but still tethered to her current evolving work that you can only see live. These things, these moments are noteworthy to the process of knowing their work. I see these things through this fog.
Panda Riot I see a lot as well. They are originally from Philly. Rebecca Scott sings lead as well as play keyboard and guitar. They evolve well within the shoegaze continuum, recently taking paths with darkening clouds. Normally they brighten the day with wonder. Their pace rarely more than a jog in the park. But you don't feel it wear on you, instead you are bombarded by this sense of wonder but of familiar things, little things. Not strictly superficial novelty. And they sell it well. Seriously, wake up on a Monday morning and play Plateau on your way to work. I think old goths of the horse-driven 90's will like this. I include myself among this lot. On this Thursday night I saw them with my cousin and brother-in-law. It's nice to see them go darker on their latest soon to be released work. She Dares All Things is their first CD and I remember it since...2007? Far And Near was released I believe in 2009. It's a 6 song EP.

No comments: