Monday, January 30, 2012

Walking Bicycles




A lot of baggage I bestowed on this band that perhaps have nothing to do with the music itself yet still influential on the imprint. There is an influence that has more to do with how I arrange furniture in the head. Pre-Recession was when I was re-discovering the local scene and Empty Bottle. Going to England for the familiar but expensive Whitby Gothic Weekend was now impossible. Fresh from discovering Queen Adreena abroad. I was craving for what I can discover locally....what a novelty. Fresh from the wonder of walking past a threshold I see Walking Bicycles. I saw them three times and every performance was at Empty Bottle. Seeing them was not easy. Each time felt like I stole a much treasured moment from The Man. Or there was something off about when these great performances presented themselves, like on a Free Monday, or a Saturday. How often are Mondays awesome! There was always an obstacle to overcome that made seeing Walking Bicycles so prohibitive and irresistible an accomplishment, almost missed and so iconic to me. The second time was the hardest. The third was for the CD release of GO? in December 2008. They have been around I think since 2004 and here I am barely aware of them in 2007. So even if their music have nothing to do with the then incoming bursting of the great bubble, it felt like they saw it coming. Welcome To The Future was the great announcement. Exactly the dark and bouncy post-punk I needed after knowing Katie Jane Garside abroad. Jocelyn the lead singer was so damn cool off-stage as well. We both know Scary Lady Sarah. That was funny to me. Sarah already knew of them well before my own discovery. Sarah 9.5 out of 10 will know of the music before I do. I would run into Jocelyn at the Bottle on some occasions, and always so cool. I was always afraid she would not remember me. You don't want to just drop from the celling and expect to be recognized....well you do. It's just awkward when it does not work. Now they are recording their 4th album and they got a facebook page. So the band still lives, and I'm very happy about that. Welcome back y'all, to me you never really left. This last picture is one outside the Bottle with the bass player.

No comments: