Friday, February 24, 2012

Kodacrome in Chicago






Kodacrome I saw with Panda Riot and Magic Key at Hideout. They are from Brooklyn,NY. They have an EP coming out 27? March 2012. They got a song available to download for free. The two local bands I've seen often. With them it's the accumulation of many performances, the good and the bad. I see their moments in a greater continuum. When the music is close to you, see it often, and know your local culture. When they come from somewhere else they inevitably draw attention to that great other. I have never been to Brooklyn. Kodarome is a point of attraction that draws me there. If I was living there I suppose, (or fantasize about) the local music pantheon there. Perhaps it would include School Of Seven Bells, Eula, and a whole bunch of bands from Projekt, oh and Slowdance. Brooklyn is well represented. Sorry, that dog took a long walk. Wait, the point of all that is when they are not from here, touring is hard and so you soak up that iconic moment.
So, right, Kodacrome provided that separate unexpected high that would have otherwise been strictly about the familiar. This is about seeing them live after Magic Key and before Panda Riot. Kodacrome actually saw the Hideout audience in it's bulk, and thinned somewhat after. As if most of them saw who they liked. I saw the entire K set. On this night I saw them with my cousin and brother-in-law. It feels nice to enter a place in a group. I so hyped this show to them. I wanted to take them to something real and local. Hideout works, right? So for this night it's significance was felt in its unexpected moments as well as the familiar. Newly placed on my radar was Kodacrome and I took in every moment I can. The following thoughts are to document this once -in-a-long-orbit, moment. In the absence of actually seeing a lot of their gigs I must settle for seeing the documented pics and video I got of one gig. I'm trying to document the unfamiliar. Elissa Pociask plays the synth and sings. She was quite the sight in blue and heels. If you like Golden Filter, Phantogram, Austra and Anika, you already like Kodacrome. It's no stretch for me to imagine a perfect goth night with songs from these bands. We are all about dancing to this stuff. K have a resonant yet unusual take on electronic synth pop. They got muscle that saves them from the frailties of pop....they sound resonant but not tired and predictable. Hmmmm, bullshit, and more fucking pretentious bullshit. I just love this band.
I was sold on them before I found parking. Hearing them live you can almost anticipate how they will sound on CD. The anticipation stems from knowing that they will tweek it, and seeing how. That sets you up for when you hear the download of Modern Man later. Hell, how many ways can I say I like this band a lot. As I played their video for Robbery, I instantly recall recording it. Yay!!! There's a whole lot of wonder to sift through, and anticipate. Kodacrome has made a fan out of me.
Zig

1 comment:

Scott F said...

hi Kaspar! really cool blog...nice to see something based out of Chicago as I'm not far away (Bloomington, Indiana). I've spent a good deal of time in the city so some of this stuff rings familiar...do you have an email address? my band Kam Kama just put out a record you might enjoy - http://kamkama.bandcamp.com/album/the-tiled-house

hope to talk soon!