Monday, March 19, 2012

Buffalo Moon...look at what I almost missed.




Buffalo Moon played Whistler Sunday 18 March. Where do I start with this newly found, almost lost treasure from Minnesota. I caught the last song and decided to get the CDs anyway. I kinda liked what I saw on their website. I naturally distrust my first impressions of....you know anything. I was barely forming one from this last song they were playing. That's where the kinda comes in. It gives me an easy way out and apathy an easy way in. When it works out it keeps me from buying music I won't like in the long run, and so saving me money...well not really 'cause I end up going to Village Pizza on Chicago Ave and Western. But I lingered in Whistler too long and took pictures of the band as they performed. I got the CD's Selva Surreal and Wetsuit, so their went my pizza money but this music is for ever. I'm eternally happy even in this bleakest, poorest state. A lot of music have that time-release mechanism. I'm ok with that, but something has to hook you. Something has to go straight to the veins. I played Selva as I drove to Neo and was immediately struck by "Amores Perros" sung in spanish by Karen Freire. And not the common Mexican spanish that my ears are used to. Her pronunciation was slightly different almost Argentine to me. Reminded me of Aterciopelados from Colombia, and early Maldita Vecindad from Mexico, only with a female singer, remember them? So they got that slight tropical sweat to them. They even got songs in Portuguese. No matter where your mood is at this song will bring out the sun inside you. Like you are in this indie flick and you are the protagonist that discovers all this music...like Steve Coogan in 24 Hour Party People. Even the names of the songs are brilliant and just pull you in, like Money, Pussy, Weed on Wetsuit. On my ipod the CD up and called itself The Water Colors. There is a lot more wonder to discover concentrated on the two CD's I got. All I can say here in so many words is that I'm glad to have encountered them, and there is much more to like in them.
It was still early as I drove to Neo as the wonder of the songs I was hearing washed over and made me turn the car around to see if I can tell them Buffalo Moon how wonderful it was to discover this music and how happy I was to be an archive for it. They were still talking to people around them, and I did not have the gall to interrupt and gush this praise. Sometimes it's best to compose yourself for later. I've embarrassed myself before. You trip over your words while you insert yourself into the conversation. You always want to take that moment back. So I shrunk away. What I want to say can be better written on their facebook page.
Zig

No comments: