Tuesday, April 3, 2012

architecture





Architecture is playing Empty Bottle, Thursday 5 April. Here is a band that are many things, many times I like them for. They play a lot, the members of this band especially with their Panda Riot face paint. They are a regular performing presence locally. And now also under architecture. First let's say that architecture are solidly shoegaze. For me they are locally the reason why I still listen to what we identify as shoegaze. So they function for me as a gate way, backwards in time and forward. They remind me of a lot while being their own creation and holding down that interest that will inevitably spill over other similar sounding music. They don't exclusively play to a shoegaze seeking crowd. They have opened for Planets, a punk sounding band. On the shoegaze continuum they seem to lean on their conventional instruments, more guitar/bass and a little less on electronics. Oh, wait there's the drum machine. Rebecca does play keyboard and guitar. They are like Broadcast. Cranes have the weirdness right? Listening to them is like finally putting on my glasses after driving all night to Cocteau Twins. I can finally see where I'm going and I still retain the wonder of it all. Finally refreshed with the clarity of words while still retaining the nebulous, a signature I once noticed on Panda Riot is also to be found on architecture. Obscurity can feel distant as well as wondrous. Well that's only if you want things to mean something. Cocteau Twins are dense with foggy curvy paths. They are not for driving over 55. With architecture vocals are clear. You feel included in the magical real moment of the everyday. Listen to them and go to the show.

No comments: