Monday, April 16, 2012

Julie Meckler at Whistler..again






Much has changed since last I saw Julie Meckler play Whistler. I saw her at Beat Kitchen, Empty Bottle, Subt's, Schubas...I may have made one of those up. Oh, yeah and things change around the performances. The world spins. I don't really mention how the world spins because they got other sources for that. The point being here is that I'm not oblivious to it. What I choose to document is not either. I can roughly recall what went on around the time I saw whoever. My dad had his accident occur some time after I saw Ebsen And The Witch. A lot goes on around the pictures I post. They hold more than what is apparent.
So Julie plays Whistler and I see the usual friends that she attracts. Yeah, Venus from Moritat was there, and they got all kinds of new music they are writing. So it's that kind of place, small and intimate, The Whistler. I don't recall it being noisy for Julie. The place devolves badly when they don't give a shit and you can hear rude voices speaking through the performer. I've seen that too and it's embarrassing. I don't remember that this time. Julie can whistle for days man, like in her song Manhattan. She has a video for that. Slows down the New York minute to wander in. And who can sustain a constant whistle for an entire song?....alright there's that girl from the Bangles, but that's only for part of "Walk Like An Egyptian". Julie has traveled and I'd like to think that is why she names some of her songs after places,(Manhattan, Mexico). It does not stop with just naming songs. One of them is so clearly reggae. With the fondness for all the places that Julie has visited she still chose to live here, and that is fucking sweet, and a little incredulous. It's common for me to hear of musicians moving away from Chicago, to the coasts. So when they move here, I'm like "really?, cool!". I don't know if this really convinces anyone to listen to Julie Meckler. I read back at this and it does not even come off like a real review. But my enthusiasm for this musician is real locally we should take more notice.

No comments: