Friday, April 13, 2012

Sleepy Kitty





Imagine for a moment...say John Lennon survived the attempt at his life and became a successful indy film writer/director like David Lynch. And you know how David Lynch has these long associations with certain musicians like Julee Cruise. Sleepy Kitty would have that same connection with John Lennon. He is in there like it's his haunted house. In some rooms he talks with the Ghost Adventures crew, all three not just Zak. Alright so at the very least I get strong John Lennon vibes from Sleepy Kitty, in the faint intangible traces of its big bang. No, it's not just the cover of 17. Actually that cover has the most minimal Beatles vibe. Paige just updated this favorite Barbie doll with new clothes. Yeah, yeah, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove. And on that, true converted believers in their delerium will speak in tongues to the faerie that gave Blondie it's disco charm. I get moments hearing this. I finally see them at Empty Bottle Thursday 12 April and I'm finally able to buy the CD. Sleepy Kitty are from St. Louis. Ridin' With St Louis Tonight captures the coolness of that city like a signature local perfume. That song is on the CD Infinity City. My first awareness brought me to see them at Whistler Sunday 9 October. It's just two people with a massive presence. Paige sings, plays guitar and Evan plays drums. I can really go on about how awesome I find Ms Paige as a guitarist. At the time all I could afford to get was the poster which I believe they have their own printing press for. So there was time enough for the novelty of discovery to wane or take on a second life. All this before actually buying the CD. It's possible to build false expectations and be disappointed later. That is not at all what happened here when actually hearing the CD later. It has the sweetness of pop but with the depth and maturity of something that feels like for your age. Like generationally speaking to you. I'm now in the process of forming a relationship with the actual songs. When next I write it will be with a greater familiarity. For now her are the pictures, I hope I got someone curious about them.
Zig

1 comment:

Ade Susanty said...

You has a great posting. I'm very interesting to stopping here and leaves you a comment. Good work.

Lets keep writing and share to us and other.

Nb: Dont forget to leave your comment back for us.