Monday, October 28, 2013

Girl In A Coma

   It was a good walk through 18th from where we were parked to go to the Pilsen show. It really means something to have the show there and I think that was the extra spark that started the effort to finally go see them. To have it in Pilsen is to say your spanish-speaking Latin American fans mean something to you, that we share the same roots. And nothing says Mexican like Pilsen. 
 And now they are in a position of great influence. You could feel the mutual affection during that show. Nina really throws herself into it. Her eyes are wide with a crazed intensity. Only the sweat from her forehead makes her blink. 

 Nina has her stage presence down. This is what makes you want to buy and wear the shirt, all loud and proud. I only had enough for one CD, but still. I said her stage presence, the way she handles the guitar, the theater of it, movements you want to imitate like air guitar. I got nieces and if there is someone that I wish to inspire them to pick up a guitar, Nina is one. If only I could pry their attention from all that Disney inspired bullshit! There were so many chances I had to see them. I'm thinking of one such night when I had the intent but something came up. It was possible it has something to do with being late. Ever since then, their name always comes up. Finally last Friday 4 October. Let it be known that I fully intended to see The Dyes but I was late for them. They are local, I will see them again. At least I was well on time for GIAC . And its as if Pilsen came to them, and Little Village and perhaps Back Of The Yards. Seriously, there were a lot of Mexicans. Double Door is one of Chicago's bigger venues and the place was well packed. This was a crowd that knew what they had before them. It focused a rosy spotlight on Nina. It seemed to energize her performance and make it as real as the sweat that makes her blink her forward gaze. The audience would sometimes sing a long to something familiar. Oh, and you can't forget the Selena cover. It was obvious the long term nature of this relationship between the crowd and band. This was nurtured over years and that is what I walked into and finally on the tail end of it. So I 'll take my time with exits. No need to say further what perhaps has already been, however singular my experience feels.
Zig


 I've known of Girl In A Coma for some time but this is only my second time seeing them. I know of them, but I don't know much about them.
 So I feel like I got some catching up to do. The first time was this free show in Pilsen earlier in the summer. They are from San Antonio, Texas, but I guess you all know that already. They have been on Joan Jett's label since around...2007...you all know that too. I am late for this I will admit.
  I'm barely going through the one CD I bought, exits & all the rest , from 2011. I'm going to take my time on it. I know its one of four albums. There's no bloody point on rushing an opinion now.
Its all been said. I just want to note my specific experience with the music. There was a mass of fans in Pilsen. Its something to observe, the fans. Their enthusiasm is genuine.














No comments: