Monday, October 28, 2013

Rows Of Arrows

I've strayed so far away from the male voice. I don't go after it. Its hard to write about it. I figure it's best to see what breaks through the filter that has built up over the years. When it hits me, its out of nowhere. And so its happened these last few times I've seen Moritat. I got into Rows Of Arrows, the solo project of Moritat bassist/vox Konstantin. I have seen them a lot and they have introduced me to many other awesome musicians, including  Julie Meckler, The Eternals. They've shared the stage with other bands that I like such as Pezzettino. The main voice of Moritat once seemed to be Venus, but really they all sing. There are a number of tracks  I like that don't have Venus take the lead including a new one Seattle Afternoon. It was with that one song I was suddenly also into and curious about Rows Of Arrows and still solidly into Moritat. Theirs is a new breath of coolness with no trace of douchy arrogance, or misogyny. You can totally feel what is meant by "avant-rock" when describing them. And now they have lead me to Rows Of Arrows. And I'm going into this with a genuine curiosity of the voice......hmmm. Chronologically we were friends before and now I can like the band separately ....if that makes sense. Hmmm, here's this. They don't come off as direct, and obvious as if not quite needing an audience....I'm back to Moritat by the way.  They emit a coolness that does not need your appreciation to exist and for that reason seem irresistible and you get that euphoric feeling of being that first audience...We are still in that stage where audience members can still be recognized individually, and that is an awesome inclusive feeling.  To discover them live is to be hooked. For me it has something to do with how they seem to go into a jam session within some of their songs. I notice they mostly use the bass guitar and Venus mostly hitting the deeper sounding keys. They subtly and for me intelligently use the deeper sounds that provoke movement before thought.  But instead of provoking the cheap and obvious, they go somewhere else. That feeling about them I've had since their first show. They keep evolving and I still like them for the same reasons. They just feel different every time. I've missed a few shows of theirs and that does sting especially when you know that each gig the music evolves further until a recording is put down. They got another one in November at the MultiKulti. The last chance to see them for the year.








No comments: