Sunday, March 16, 2014

Ringo Deathstarr

It was a Sunday 2 March at Beat Kitchen. Ringo Deathstarr headlining a show that included Panda Riot. The LP is Gods Dream. I believe I saw them in Chicago one other time at the now defunct Darkroom. Nothing about them is slow, there is no meandering in their music. In the shoegaze kingdom they are among the fastest runners on land. If you already like Asobi Seksu.....well perhaps you already know of Ringo Deathstarr. When they relax their gate and enjoy the scenery Convertible is their sound. I do not know for sure if they played that. I'm looking up the songs after the concert, looking for something to recall. Urban wonder.......You're driving and explaining to your newly arrived visiting relatives. Urban wonder, and this is me showing it, driving you around, 'cause I know where I am, and I want you to like it, the sophistication with just a little grit from the functional underside. Let it be said that this is a fresh impression independent of whatever Convertible actually says. And I can actually apply this to other songs as well. I made it to half of RD's set. That's something, and by the end of it I was right in front.  They have this way of sounding relaxed but still alert. Heads may indeed be in the clouds but they have a firm grip on the road they travel and pass on the left. Aloof sounding yet still alert and capable of focused action. Rapidly this memory of actually seeing them fades into images that I reconstruct while listening to the songs on youtube. Hmmm, but what isn't a reconstruction. Let's see. Ah! I arrived in the middle of the set, late enough to be let in for free. Shit....It was Philly Peroxide that told me they were about 4 songs in. So not really boo fucking hoo late. But I was in the back and it was a gradual process to work my way to the front. And later I bought the Panda Riot shirt. They finally have fucking shirts! And there is a next chance to see them. So now I get the bloody Ringo Deathstarr shirt. So I came back with stuff that says it wasn't just a mental smearing together images of Ms Alex .....mostly Alex and......Eliot and Daniel. I'll try and get the vinyl later. I have a CD from them, Colour Trip already but not yet a shirt. The song Gods Dream I presume they played it, the concert memory does not specify but one, Bong Load. Its about smoking weed with your friends I think. Anyway, the title song .............Alex sings. She sounds dreamy and aloof as the rolling storm rages behind her. Wait she's playing bass, so its really on her to brew the storm. It makes you just wanna put on the bloody shirt. I must confess the real impression comes from listening to a recording. For reasons that I cannot articulate, I must mark the difference. One is a direct must be there experience, and the other is a recording. I'm grateful for having both, the technology to record and everything. They've been to Chicago more times than I've caught them. I could not get the LP after buying the shirt. The coolness that comes from seeing them again comes from retouching the older iconic memory. They played Darkroom with such intensity and were so cool with me after wards at the merch table. So now you get the shirt....so what if it's black. That's not the bloody point. Now I know that I really like them. Its no accident that I am there. What does fade is what got me to see them at Darkroom to begin with. When in doubt....Ah yes. This road begins with Scary Lady Sarah.  Thank you!
Zig

  







No comments: