Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sleepy Kitty at Township


So I went to see Sleepy Kitty at Township.  They are based out of St. Louis and Chicago. They were here to promote their latest  Projection Room. This is who I took a close friend to see with me on a Free Monday at Empty Bottle. It was a surprise visit from him, it was a good feeling to bring someone to the Bottle. And really not just anyone. We are close for many years but now he has settled in California. Sleepy Kitty is not a band he would normally seek out, know of. And so here we have a real convergence of moments here. This was just when I started to really like Infinity City, be familiar with it....the LP before. Now is the best time for me to sell this band Sleepy Kitty and here dropped from the sky is an oldest of friends.  Let's go....where? The fucking Empty Bottle. He really did not expect to be watching Paige and her guitar....on a Monday. It's now Saturday at Township and this memory that took a whole paragraph to construct in text circles around more than once in my head. I almost did not buy the new release, but I walked too close to the merch table, and there is Ms Paige. Well, at least I had the money for it. My intention was to see them and then go to see Marci, DJ at Dragon Lady Lounge. The pictures I post will be of Sleepy Kitty, but they will remind me of the journey of that entire night. It went extremely well for me, a rare and wonderful, unexpected time. I heard the music on the way back home. This is me preserving a series of moments and impressions in these few images. And now I got songs that are exploding on top of me in singular impressions. Goddard Protagonist Inflection starts out sweet, hopeful innocent and floating, and then turns mean, heavy and blusey. Like she can shoot you like Han Solo gets Greedo, and that kind of walk, or gate that hints of western movies. Paige lays this powerful storm with her guitar. The great thing is that you have at least two segments in which you really get to really admire the guitar playing.  Imagine Miranda Sex Garden if they were American.  They leaned and ultimately went Mediaeval. The duo of Sleepy Kitty have a western lean and just as epically iconic. And its scattered all over the CD. I'm glad this one is six minutes long. In the middle it starts off sweet again only to finally give to that power blues guitar. Its an absolute intoxication hearing them guitars. I am not the first to put this Kitty in the same sentence as Blondie. But absent in Kitty is Blondie's disco, too rugged a western landscape. This whole bloody paragraph is just for one song but these are general impressions that are also in other songs. Paige's voice is clear, easy to understand, refreshing, the iconic familiar, shadows and all. It feels like a nice step away from the exotic, because familiar means less distant. And they write about anything, like what goes on in Batman: The Ride. I can follow along the lyrics. They have a capacity to write a song about anything.
Zig















No comments: