Thursday, May 1, 2014

Moritat

  So Moritat will play Burlington with Panda Riot Friday 2 May. And I want to go.....and no I do not think I have written enough about them.  They have a fan in me in common. I like it when this happens.  Panda Riot identifiably is shoe gaze/dream pop and enjoys the support of a loosely woven like-minded community. That does not always translate to a massive audience every time. In fact I always notice how they introduce themselves to each audience as new.  They play've played the Bottle countless times and.....oh shit this was about.........The avant rock Moritat plows its path without a similar support network. Yet this band deserves attention. Its just harder to write about them, at least for me. Have to explain what I mean with "avant rock". I guess for me it means this band has a strong rock identity and with the jam session flexibility that barely suggests jazz. For me, when it comes to Moritat, the avant part reminds me of jazz......hmmm what I could humbly identify as such. All the internal notes that this band rang in my head have their origin with jazz. Remember how Yellow House reminded me of the Peanuts theme song.....jazz...at least for me. Then somewhere along the road I mentioned trip hop.....and whats in there?....jazz. I don't think they would self identify as jazz, nor would I but that's the note that puts a lot of smaller things together when I think of them. I'm glad they are to perform a set with the Pandas because presumably it could expose Moritat to a potential audience. Here's the up side to not having a community behind you. There is no burden that holds you to sound a certain way. And there is no need to prove your way out of it.



With Moritat that means they are free to define what avant rock means for themselves before the term can possibly take a life of its own and eventually tell you how to dress.....its too late for me anyway. I already dress in black.
Zig

No comments: