Sunday, July 5, 2015

Staring Problem

  Just read the names of these great tracks, Don't Tell A SoulParasite, Species Forgotten,  Not Humane, SemiconsciousCease To Be. They paint a bleak picture. But its one you want to see and explore. Like watching Ghost Adventures.....less for the actual ghosts and more for the urban exploration. They could not have named the new release better, Long Winter. These names arouse your curiosity and listening to the tracks does not in the least disappoint.  I have always loved the bass on Staring Problem songs. Even if you don't notice, its what holds it all together, it gives the lead guitar the space to sound its best.  I always notice myself looking for and mentioning what sounds....urgent, what has a drive like its reaching for something about to be lost.  Urgency is infectious. Once its inside, you naturally relate to the music. It becomes your urgency. And the music speaks for you.  And these latest from Staring Problem has that feeling with abundance. The bass bounces with an aged confidence and natural urgency.....I already went through a fucking thesaurus so shut up. I went shopping around. I missed their last show at The Mousetrap I believe and so I am posting pictures from shows I have seen.
   
  When you are driving home to this, check your speed. If you are jogging, exercising you are going to burn a little more of that extra ass you don't want. Damn it I say that a lot. I gotta find new ways to express my enthusiasm of the same bands. Anyway,  Not Humane , Semiconscious immediately took me back to when my English friends first introduced me to New Model Army. And they always have this bouncy drive, like they are chasing something....and they always have this point of view that is the tip of their spear. Those guys are like that passionate leftist relatively young professor that happens to be a musician. When NMA believe in justice, ....vengeance, so do you. Hell you even spell it like they do. But this is of course about Staring Problem. Anyway the two songs named have this faster pulse to them that I like, and yet they sound perfect for Scary Lady Sarah's Death Rock night.  And its not a bad thing to put these two bands in the same stream of thought and text. Remember we goths dance to this.
 
So we seek out the spaces or create them so that we can, and further exploration can be done besides just listening. I'm really curious about the lyrics thanks to the names of the songs, I prefer to read as I listen.....or else I just make my own up by mistake. I did that once. For a long time this Caifanes song I understood the lyrics to go a certain way. It turns out when I bothered reading them, they were completely different than what I thought I heard. So I trust what I read more than hear in this regard. They sound....old... like an older subcultural punk band. If I did not already know, I would just assume they were from an era when cassette tapes were the norm and not the fucking novelty. So when I mean old....I'm saying there is a natural maturity to this. And I noticed too that the songs are lasting longer, like for three minutes, Yaay!!!.
Zig








No comments: