Thursday, July 23, 2015

Walking Bicycles

   I had no idea about Radar Eyes before this. Walking Bicycles were the middle act before they did their last show. Hmmm, last show. They got me curious with that and so I stayed for them, and I'm glad I did. Angela from Touched By Ghoul/Coins/Sybris was in the crowd and sang with them for one song. I notice Julius puts together lots of these great shows. I am sometimes embarrassed to see how little I am aware of and so talking to them in between shows is always insightful. And I feel quite at ease around them.  I was going to see them when Pamphleteers played Burlington but I was called away to Indianapolis for that weekend, so I had to feel the sting of that. Anyway so, Julius organized this last show at Hideout, with Radar Eyes and that is why I stayed.  The first of the year for Bicycles, I believe. Their gigs still feel rare even as I accumulate posters of them. The Hideout is great because its small and known. On their wall I believe there is a fucking picture of Seka! No fucking around, I made it on time for this thing, but with no intention to stay for Radar Eyes but I stayed. They have refined and concentrated their engine. The bass rolls fast with the drums. Its the engine, the total engine before Jocelyn even begins.
  I hear their new LP To Whom That Wills The Way all the time. And now I got these live sets to recall including this one at Hideout.  Its not a routine. This is rare. So indeed I document this months ago warping memory. I took a few less pictures. So most of what I post here are from other shows. It still feels very recent when all I had was their back catalogue and the two tracks So and Badada. And now the rest are absolute jams! The music fits me. I don't know how else to put it. Their hmm signatures intensify. The engine that once simmered burns hot now. A look at lyrics invites a look at the the vinyl itself. Their urgent, fast pace naturally seems dark, and still casual as the background of gloomy spooky urban, darkness. What I just said there I can easily apply to all their back catalogue. Its worth a look back to have a deeper appreciation of the latest.  After Vitamin Z don't you want to hear Welcome To The Future? I usually hear both versions since they are barely over two minutes long. And where does Whirlin' Dervish come from? After all this time I've had to ponder them. The tracks do not telegraph one another. By the time I hear Boethius, track 9, I don't feel like I had also just heard War Paint, or The Messenger.   And I remember seeing Future live, and what it took to get me to see them. Tracks leave you with individual signatures. Still mysterious even as they strike directly.  Its rare and wonderful that I have them to ponder along with the fleeting performances.
Zig







No comments: