Friday, September 11, 2015

Lightfoils/Panda Riot

  Its very rare when I go see well circulated local acts at these bigger venues. Lincoln Hall is easily the biggest venues I've seen them in. This goes for both fucking bands. It felt like we were using something meant for the adults.  It kind of feels like a big deal. Empty Bottle, Burlington, Cole's, these are places that pass around local acts.  Schubas, Lincoln Hall, even kind of Hideout. I see them as leaning towards bigger known touring bands. It works out well that they both get this gig, Cory plays bass for both Lightfoils and Panda Riot. Damn....if they would have included architecture into this gig that would have been a good third of Chicago's shoegaze scene in one fucking room, (Rebecca sings in that one too).
  I made it well into the Panda's set, and I noticed a good crowd for them. I think it was only days ago when Rebecca Scott finished a triathlon. Their latest Northern Automatic Music really is brilliant. It burns and its embers continue to burn and simmer inside, always capable of a wildfire. They got tracks I can't get hear enough. Some of these for a while they would play live before the official release of Northern Auto. Good Night, Rich KidsBlack Pyramid, In The Forest, they were my intangible favorites.
  It fascinates me that they started I think doing soundtracks because some of these sound perfect for movie scenes. In The Forest does indeed starts out dark and serious. Black Pyramid is the perfect ending to that cult indy flick. When the resolution as great as the story, that is what you play when you roll the credits. Its actually what they end their shows with. Good Night plays, as a character reveals something within, that carries the story forward.  For a while they played all those before there was a CD, LP, the fucking take-home version that modernity has spoiled us with. Its the shoegaze I introduce my friends to. And they have opened for some powerhouse bands. They let me hang with them at their practice spot with Ringo Deathstarr after the gig at Empty Bottle. They have opened for Warpaint and School Of Seven Bells!!!! And then along came Cory on bass and Jose on drums. And its like with Leepu and Pitbull, out comes the same old and better car with the muscle car engine.
  For me Lightfoils already came with Cory, and his driving energetic bass. He plays and I air-guitar without even thinking about it. So visually his enthusiasm, is infectious. I hate missing them because I consider them friends that I wish great success for. I think the moment you like something, music for instance it starts to be a projection of your identity.
  Its not a stretch to see certain groups or identities come with a dress code. We goths for example like to wear all black. The shoegaze  scene is just lucky it got away when it did before some ridiculous fashion took a hold of its balls. The word "shoegaze' alone is a mild sting to some. Still...the real cattle brand is being called goth.....even when they just fucking are.  Anyway that was a tangent, sorry. When I like something, it becomes my projected identity. Hell, all I wear are fucking band shirts. My apologies another tangent that says nothing about the bands themselves, sorry. Back to Lightfoils......The bass as the foundation sprouts the two swirling lightning bolts,  the guitars of Neil and Zeeshan. In some songs they are like a darker Asobi Seksu. I once believed they were broken up. And so I'm happy to be wrong and to see them promoting new work. They are playing it along with some of the work I'm familiar with. Into Deep Sea is the first harpoon I felt of theirs. I think I recall hearing How It Is that night. Both of these are from their remix LP. For the moment it is the only tangible work I have of theirs. I have been too broke to get the new LP Hierarchy. And it is so great to hear it live. Diastolic is on the LP and it has an interesting video on it. I am a band-shirt wearing fan, the kind that buys the music on blind faith. I'm pre-sold on them.
Zig












No comments: