Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Crystal Bright and The Silver Hands

  Its barely dawning on me the significance of what I saw with Crystal Bright and the Silver Hands. I barely become aware of this show a week away and I don't even recall how. What led me to that name Crystal Bright I don't recall that....does not matter, it don't move this forward. We arrive on time to see her entire show. Underground Lounge is a nice hideaway in the middle of some busy streets. We parked on Belmont and walked a long rainy Clark that I barely recognize. The exact type of douche bro's that I see on TV are all over fucking Belmont, Clark and Halsted....and we gotta navigate around them and their conversations. Honestly what got me to even think Underground Lounge? These fucks!!...they are drifting in their world and I suppose here I am in mine walking around them invisible at best. I anticipated not having parking anywhere near Underground Lounge. So I obliged us to take this long way soon after we got off Lake Shore Drive. Its not really a big deal. Park....rain,  a walk among the douche bags. Its cool. And it was. I mean, way fucking cool!  I should have been stoned cool!  Seeing her live brings me to see more of her live shows on Youtube.
  I bought Muses &Bones and heard it on the way home. I'm glad she played from it. There was a lot on the CD that I heard live. I loved everything. On the merch table, the shirts, the other LP, ...The 2011 LP will be this reference. But I wanted to take home everything. Andugu is so savagely awesome! I so should have just danced to this one. Really, the room stoic yet appreciative, did not lend itself to dance. I'm dancing my ass off now with the videos from Youtube. There's this one from North Carolina where the camera pans to the audience and they are all dancing. It was beautiful, unguarded, happy dancing like in The Peanuts.







  I can see how the steam punk scene likes her. Her music seems to come from this mysterious contemporary, parallel other period. And she seems to be a master of all these instruments, drums, accordion, saw, andungu,...keyboard. And its not just that. There is something of the culture that she absorbs from the instrument. And this is crazy evident with Andugu. The accordion brings in the old world. Crystal Bright played in a mariachi band! I am blown away by that. She sang songs in spanish. Has studied flamenco in Spain. That is significant to me. You know what. I bet she knows Lila Downs. I mean know who she is and all that. Anyway, It makes her music weirdly familiar to me because I grew up listening to spanish music, and woven into that experience is listening to mariachi. I honestly felt thrown into this other-worldly period. I'm almost sure she played Fall of The Seraph . I believe she played a good deal from Bones. She mentioned one about Sherlock Holmes I think. I'm glad I have this tangible CD that I bought to support. I get to listen in the car, and I'm a fan now.
Zig

No comments: