Sunday, May 28, 2017

Fauvely makes me think





 


  Cocteau Twins are thought provoking and dance inducing. They would make me think a whole lot more if I could understand what they say. Over the years I developed an appreciation....naw, more than that, for the quiet, intimate songs that just let you sink into yourself and explore your own thoughts. I am into this like that rare strain of weed that you follow a Vice television crew into Colombia to try.  Wait, wait....where are you going? What is wrong with my drug metaphors? I don't want to labor with this metaphor, its like I'm tagging my own fucking house. My point is made, let us say. What's wrong with Vice? Having a few vices around is what makes the world spin. Anyway....this is the soundtrack for the interior castle. Fauvely is now part of that soundtrack. This has me looking back to this early Videotape EP that has some intimate tracks as well. A renewed curiosity emerges a bounce back to Get Mine,.....for no fucking reason.  So I have been listening to it. Fauvely first caught my attention for being minimal, intimate and drifting. It was haunting, but not scary. Like them kids from The Others covering songs from Miranda Sex Garden.  Hmmm, actually them kids were really creepy. Damn these metaphors just fall apart before I even finish.....So this time I caught them....Fauvely at Burlington Monday 8 May. Right now, I'm about this band. Watch Me Overcomplicate This is the six track EP.  The Empty Bottle release event was nice. I took a poster down....alright, two. No...its not weird.  It just seemed like a bloody waste to trash them. Music, that for me is timeless,  will still leave behind time capsules. I like to preserve them. The tiny slice of time they take in performing in a venue is all too brief. The posters on that good hard paper, disposable to most but I guess not if you like the band. That is worth preserving as well. I know that sounds like a lot of intangible bullshit, but that is as best as I can explain the urgency to see these shows. I think I'm turning into Steve Buscemi from Ghost World, a very weird type of music collector. Still...not weird. 
 
So I barely caught the last song when they played Silvie's on Irving Pk. That made this one at Burlington no bullshit, a mission. After Empty Bottle its the smaller venues. Burlington is smaller and yet it has seen many of the same bands as the Bottle, and it has a nasty bathroom. That door might as well be a curtain. So it makes it one of the cool venues. A Monday night here is going to be cool....ain't supposed to be. There are too many forces at work that keep it that way. Fauvely makes Monday night cool. In part it is the novelty of having a band I like play a weekday night. I've had some time to listen and explore on my own the Fauvely EP. I go see them over again to best revisit the best memories of seeing them before.
  I don't have exact lyrics to read to be sure but phrases are sticking out like head lines. The title song had some with open vulnerability. And things that easily come out in thought and not so easily in conversation, "I wish I could think faster...I don't know if I'm happy", all of them reveal different shades of vulnerability, and that is difficult to do and still be elegant, composed. So I'm really into listening to words to see what headlines stick out as I mentally stroll in the German Expressionist/Magical Realist memory. For a Monday night, this is a sweet way to kill the time. And these are the moments that are in need of documentation. The individual performances matter to me. I need an iconic visual to lock into the memory. That happens when you see a performer a lot.  And you create that deeper iconic painting in your mind. I was gonna be slick and just record Break on video which is my favorite. I love them all but Break would be the one. So I got the space on my memory card. But somehow the fucking camera...malfunction! Fuck! This is some fucking Charlie Brown bullshit! So I gotta just take pictures. I do recall Sophie singing about her home town or something, that got me curious. I don't think she was referring to any one on the EP. Anyway that is just me rambling on.
Zig

No comments: