Monday, June 19, 2017

My Gold Mask and Shimmer.

  I was disappointed that I could not arrive earlier to see all the bands. I barely made it in time to see My Gold Mask. I wanted to make it on time for Lightfoils. There were so many other MGM shows that I missed for one reason or another that this time I could not miss. Gretta and Jack I have observed them since their days as Bang Bang and the lightning bolt ties Jack sold at the merch table. What it is noteworthy for me is seeing them go to Shimmer. Philly and Sarah's Shoegaze/Dream Pop night held at Slippery Slope once a month. MGM....just chillin'.
  My fascination of them carried into My Gold Mask from Bang Bang. Right now for this here post I've had to back track to see which songs I heard when. Cocaine Nose was an early favorite of mine. I know I got a CD of that somewhere, but fortunately meanwhile there is bandcamp. I was impressed with their song writing, how resonant it was. I knew with just hearing two songs of theirs. There was something about how they put a song together.  I can pile on the songs I'd want to hear in Nocturna. Its dark dance floor friendly and local. One of their first shows as My Gold Mask was at Empty Bottle. And get this...there was this show they played with Phantogram at Subt's. Almost no one went to this. I barely made it to Phantogram and just a hand full of people. That was a Wednesday, I believe. I fucking know, I wrote about it. Anyway I missed Lightfoils but there will be a chance to see them again in time. Here at least I made it for My Gold Mask. One of my sister's favorite local bands. A Thousand Voices puts them at 2009 but I feel like they go years back beyond that. I noticed how occasionally they would get in print. I should have bought that magazine at Reckless. And now here we are at Subt's for Anxious Utopia. The pictures will document for me several different events. It will hold the memories of other noteworthy moments. Battles is sleek, bouncy cool electronic dance. And its just the first to have that description. If you already are a fan since fucking Cocaine Nose then you already bought the damn CD....vinyl?....vinyl...and the shirt, nice. Hmmm, you got the lightning bolt tie? NICE!!!


 So when I see them I'm briefly taken back to when I know she went. My Gold Mask has years soaking inside Chicago. Fucking hell.....I lost my train of thought!  Oh...Battles.... I know they played this! I fucking love the video. Gretta's eyes! Gretta's eyes....they got the depth and intensity of Chris Walken, from The Prophecy. Mad fucking intense and beautiful at once. And as Battles begins to brand itself into the texture of my mind, Dissipate. Oh and I can dance all slow with Dangerous. If you already own Leave Me Midnight, perhaps you were there at Subt's as well.
  For me its worth while to see Jack and Gretta hang out at Philly Peroxides Shimmer. Its not the first time I see them at a Philly related event. Its awesome to see them there. As I was dancing I was greeted by Zee Shan and Cory from Lightfoils. Sarah and Philly said hi the moment I went on the dance floor. Slippery Slope had a good Tuesday night crowd. I saw many familiar faces as I danced on a corner. Hmm, and there I saw Gretta and Jack at the bar, occasionally talking to Philly. And so a swirl of memory fragments get triggered. Philly later offered to break the ice....I retreated, the moment would come. I did not want it forced or awkward. It was enough to see the cycle of support. Its significant these fleeting cycles. Here we got a night that is set aside for a certain type of music, attracts a nice modest stable crowd. And here is Philly, Sarah with Jack and Gretta. Yeah, William was there too. Cory and Zee Shan with other familiar faces. As I said my last good-bye, they played Wax And Wane from Cocteau Twins. For a moment considered staying, hmm, fuck it. I left. Wax And Wane was to be that exit track I hear fade and ease the walk into Milwaukee Ave.
Zig

No comments: